Anyone have an update on Lyra Jean and little Aya?

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was watching the news last night and heard that all Americans are being urged to leave Japan. I immediately thought of Lyra Jean and Aya, who are supposed to be leaving on March 28 to return to the US. I was wondering, and thought with horror, whether or not the airlines would be as permissive about shipping pets when Japan is obviously in crisis---the cargo space could be put to "better use," etc.

Has anyone heard, or does anyone know? I am getting a little worried.

for Lyra Jean, Aya and all in distress in Japan.

Cally

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been wondering about them too. I hope they are ok and are still good to come back to the USA!!

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As of now things are a 'ready, set, wait...' mode. When the airline I'm flying out with extended the travel waiver through March 31st a couple of days ago I called to see if things were still a go. It sounded like business as usual, they are just being watchful in case things go bad. The woman who I spoke with at United sounded exhasperated that I'd called (I guess they've been getting a lot of calls lately) and said I needed to wait until closer to the flight like late next week to see if things were still a go. She emphasised that if my flight had a United/continental code I could change once with no penalty.

I let her know that the reason I was concerned was I was bringing a pet and that was the whole purpose of the trip and I need to do certin things like get a health certificate and go the the Naha Quarrantine office, etc... So I asked if i could call back on the 24th. She said, yeah that would be better.

I am flying through Narita/Tokyo. I only have a 2 hour layover there and am not concerned about possible radiation at this time as it is 1. a short stop and 2. still a long way off from the power plant in Fukushima. Most of the people hiding indoors in Tokyo are being overly worried by the uncertainty and the sensationalization in the news at this time, IMO.

One of the reasons I planned to bring Aya home so early (the pet heat embargo begins around May 15th) is just in case this sort of S@#$ happens... I'd really like to go sooner rather than alter as I was going to get my own health issues checked out while at home as the J-docs are not doing anything productive. But if needs be I can postpone until later in April, and hopefully things will have settled down by then.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you SO much for checking in with us!! I, too, have been concerned about you and Aya. Glad you're doing well. Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whew! So glad it's still on track! Do try with everything you have to get home ASAP! I seriously doubt things are going to be "settled down" by April, unfortunately.

Hugs and a scritch for Aya!

C