Anyone eating low carb? Atkins, keto, etc.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've successfully lost weight and improved blood panels doing low carb in the past so I'm giving it another shot.

I'm actually doing something called the ketogenic ("keto") diet, where you restrict carbs to fewer than 50g per day (ideally fewer than 30g) and put your body in a state of ketosis, where instead of using stored glucose (in the form of glycogen stored mostly in the liver) the body uses fatty acids (stored in fat cells in adipose tissue) for fuel. Sounds complicated, but not really. It's a high-fat, high-protein diet so you can eat lots of butter, bacon, meats, etc.

I've seen a lot of success stories and compared with my experiences in the past, which have included everything from SlimFast to lowfat to vegetarian and lots of others, low carb works best for me.

If you're low-carbing, let's share stories and recipes!

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I follow the Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program, and have completely adhered to it coming up on 3 years this April.  I've lost 138+ lbs. to date, and improved some of my cholesterol results, with excellent cardiac risk ratios etc.

I also use a calorie daily limit as a way of portion control, and prefer gluten-free eating, and cooking from scratch.

I'm really big on eating delicious food & not feeling hungry, while losing weight.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I follow the Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program, and have completely adhered to it coming up on 3 years this April.  I've lost 138+ lbs. to date, and improved some of my cholesterol results, with excellent cardiac risk ratios etc.

I also use a calorie daily limit as a way of portion control, and prefer gluten-free eating, and cooking from scratch.

I'm really big on eating delicious food & not feeling hungry, while losing weight.
Wow!!!! Congratulations! That is some serious success. I'm glad to find another low-carber. I need to lose some pretty high numbers as well.

I'll look into the program. I think keto will work great for me initially but have some concerns about long-term.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband did keto for a couple of weeks and lost like 25 pounds. Then he decided he couldn't live without bread and stopped. I've been thinking about trying it.

fleabags mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did no wheat, yeast, sugar and diary for 3 months and the weigh fell off - mainly because nothing left to eat as am a veggie too! My partner and I are going on a no sugar diet as soon as his birthday has come and gone (at the weekend) and we can have birthday cake :-)  I am really looking forward to it because hoping to feel less sluggish.  If the no sugar doesn't help us lose weight then we are going to give up white flour too because that rules out so many things that are bad for us! Congrats on your diet, and good luck!