anyone deal with infected cat bites before??

okayyuyxn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got bit by a stray this morning. Went to urgent care asap, and it's now 16 hours post-bite. Gosh it's freaking painful. Taking some ibuprofen did help. Was wondering if anyone dealt with this before and if so, please provide some tips for taking care of the wound and when an ER visit would be warranted

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I got bit by a stray this morning. Went to urgent care asap, and it's now 16 hours post-bite. Gosh it's freaking painful. Taking some ibuprofen did help. Was wondering if anyone dealt with this before and if so, please provide some tips for taking care of the wound and when an ER visit would be warranted
I’m so sorry to hear that you got bitten by this stray cat. I suggest you go to the ER if needed.

Here’s an article on cat bites and there some tips on taking care of the wounds and if you feel that the wound is serious, don’t take the chance, please go to the ER.

Hope it’s not that set and hope the wounds heal well soon.
Please keep us posted.

BillyBobbieBusterJack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Be smarter than me…Go to the ER! I thought it was bursitis since my ankle is usually swollen somewhat (SOFT and swollen) so I went to the ortho doc for them to drain and get cortisone shot. He looked me right in the eye and said “it’s not infected” despite having done no labs or blood work. Two days later the swelling got MUCH worse so I went to the ER and ended up admitted to the hospital for a week, emergency surgery for the abscesses that were in the joint and inside the sheaths of the tendons, as well as 5 days of continuous IV antibiotics. It’s been 4 weeks and they still aren’t sure which strain of the particular bacteria (acid fast bacilli) it is but once they are able to get it cultured i may be on antibiotics for up to 6 months…all for a little cat bite!

Attachments

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Be smarter than me…Go to the ER! I thought it was bursitis since my ankle is usually swollen somewhat (SOFT and swollen) so I went to the ortho doc for them to drain and get cortisone shot. He looked me right in the eye and said “it’s not infected” despite having done no labs or blood work. Two days later the swelling got MUCH worse so I went to the ER and ended up admitted to the hospital for a week, emergency surgery for the abscesses that were in the joint and inside the sheaths of the tendons, as well as 5 days of continuous IV antibiotics. It’s been 4 weeks and they still aren’t sure which strain of the particular bacteria (acid fast bacilli) it is but once they are able to get it cultured i may be on antibiotics for up to 6 months…all for a little cat bite!
Hope you get well soon too!

BillyBobbieBusterJack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hope you get well soon too!
Thanks! I got sidetracked but meant to add that after I was bitten I thought I did everything right. I immediately washed the wound with soap and warm/hot (but not too hot) water, applied an antibiotic ointment (prescription strength, Mupirocin) and bandages to keep the area clean. And yet, despite all of this, I still ended up with a massive infection that could’ve cost me my foot or leg (or worse!) if I had listened to the ortho doc who sent me home to schedule an MRI (the soonest I could get in was 11 days later) and to then follow up with their foot and ankle guy (after an additional 12 day wait).
Now I’ll know better, the next time I get bitten, that proper wound care, while def important, won’t necessarily safeguard against infection, and to make the ER my *first* stop as most have the necessary resources (imaging equipment, on-site lab for blood work, etc…) that other doctor’s offices, or even urgent care clinics, may not have.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks! I got sidetracked but meant to add that after I was bitten I thought I did everything right. I immediately washed the wound with soap and warm/hot (but not too hot) water, applied an antibiotic ointment (prescription strength, Mupirocin) and bandages to keep the area clean. And yet, despite all of this, I still ended up with a massive infection that could’ve cost me my foot or leg (or worse!) if I had listened to the ortho doc who sent me home to schedule an MRI (the soonest I could get in was 11 days later) and to then follow up with their foot and ankle guy (after an additional 12 day wait).
Now I’ll know better, the next time I get bitten, that proper wound care, while def important, won’t necessarily safeguard against infection, and to make the ER my *first* stop as most have the necessary resources (imaging equipment, on-site lab for blood work, etc…) that other doctor’s offices, or even urgent care clinics, may not have.
Glad that you went to the ER as a second opinion that was the right place to go. Take care!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Did the urgentcare give you antibiotics? If they did not, watch out for swelling which would indicate cellulitis which can be very serious. It does not have to look as terrible as what happened to BillyBobbieBusterJack BillyBobbieBusterJack ; any swelling is a warning sign. I got cellulitis from my own indoor only cat. The teeth of a cat are so sharp that they enter the skin like needles and the skin closes over them which traps bacteria, unlike a dog bite which is usually more of an open tear.

I am going to guess that an urgentcare knows if there is a vector for rabies in stray cats in your area. In LA county, stray cats are not considered to carry rabies and when I was bitten by one (another episode) the ER told me that there was no reason to do the rabies series. But...it is a very worthwhile question to pursue in your area. If nothing was said, call the urgentcare back and ask. You might check the public health department for your area as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

okayyuyxn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did the urgentcare give you antibiotics? If they did not, watch out for swelling which would indicate cellulitis which can be very serious. It does not have to look as terrible as what happened to BillyBobbieBusterJack BillyBobbieBusterJack ; any swelling is a warning sign. I got cellulitis from my own indoor only cat. The teeth of a cat are so sharp that they enter the skin like needles and the skin closes over them which traps bacteria, unlike a dog bite which is usually more of an open tear.

I am going to guess that an urgentcare knows if there is a vector for rabies in stray cats in your area. In LA county, stray cats are not considered to carry rabies and when I was bitten by one (another episode) the ER told me that there was no reason to do the rabies series. But...it is a very worthwhile question to pursue in your area. If nothing was said, call the urgentcare back and ask. You might check the public health department for your area as well.
Yes, they gave me amoxicillin clav. I developed cellulitis yesterday evening and I drew lines to keep track of whether or not it was spreading. As of right now, looks a lot better. My skin isn’t as pink compared to yesterday’s peak, and it doesn’t seem to be spreading either. I went on abx 3 hours after the bite so I think it helped out a lot. Honestly, as of right now, I don’t think it warrants an ER visit. I feel perfectly fine, not very painful anymore, but there’s still some pink and swelling. I’m going to stay on course with the abx and hopefully it goes well. If I don’t see much progress after the next few days, definitely heading to the ER.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is very possible that the abx will handle the cellulitis, but finish the entire course of the medication. Even if it continues to improve, which it hopefully will, don't make your own decision that the entire infection is gone.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been bitten multiple times by Lola, formerly my mothers cat, and now mine. Twice those bites caused infections requiring antibiotics. The worse was a deep bite to my hand. By the morning after being bit my hand was hugely swollen. For that one I had an antibiotic injection and then pills to take. I soaked my hand in hot water several times a day to keep the wound open so it would drain. I know I did this for multiple days before it improved.

When I was trying to catch her to bring her to my house, Lola bit me again three or four times. I ran the wounds under water to keep the blood running then applied antibiotic cream. Fortunately infection from those bites.