Anybody walk the cat outside in a harness.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering if I should walk him outside, he has never been outside, or just keep it as it is. I would hate to have Spotty start darting out the door.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I walk a couple of mine, but also have a catio, but I found it tends to depend more on the cat. One of them darted out the door even before I started harness training. One that really likes going for walks will actually sit and stare at her harness hanging up by the door and knows if I pick it up she gets to go out. Another trick to prevent door dashing when taking them out is don't allow them to walk out the door on their own, even all harnessed up carry them at least a few feet out the door, that way walking out the door on their own is not a normal thing. Walking them outside can be great exercise both physically and mentally, but only if they enjoy it (not all cats do) and you have a safe place to do so.

Here is a pic of one of my cats, Misty, on lead so you can see her cuteness. :)
20230414_145007.jpg

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cats have a catio as well, but only dart out the door they know leads to it. Luckily, no one door darts anywhere else.
I believe Kwik Kwik and A Alldara have done some harness training. They might be able to share their experiences.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did find harness training to temporarily increase darting behaviour.

Mind, I was used to having a darter. Lily always did. I let them out only at the back door which leads to a gated yard which is more secure than the front.

I do think it's great for cats to be harness trained. We had an emergency and had to stay at a family members home which is not cat-proof. Since Magnus was harness trained, we could keep him leashed and harnessed and let him loose in a big dog pen. He will eat and potty with the harness on so no issues there.

I just begin by putting it on for a few minutes and giving something high reward.

As much as walks outside can go well...you must also remember there is inherent risks to it. You can't control other people's animals. There are loose cats and off-leash dogs. You'll hear, "Don't worry he's friendly!" From irresponsible dog owners a lot. Therefore I always think it's best to do some training and trust development with your cat first. They can also slip from their harness, so ensure to use a cat harness and that it's a slip-resistant one.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
On rare occasions i take my cats on harness however they stay within sight and genneraly away from the grass (it is treated by yardman) this year the ticks were awful and next year will likely be even worse if there isnt another hard frost to kill them.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats are leash trained-usually they are schooled in basic obedience enough to graduate to leash with a collar- which I do not recommend unless your cat can reliably sit,come,go,down and understands "STAY" and is undistracted-only my Sami is SAFE -cats can easily harm themselves in a collar -they are easily distracted and have a short attention span- this type of advanced training takes many many hours and starts at a very early age.

Cats are wired differently than dogs- dogs first & foremost are a pack animal- a pack animal can go anywhere with their pack,fellow members of their pack and with follow their alpha- hierarchy & pecking order is established...Cats on the other hand are territorial,they hunt alone and although they are a social animal they thrive well in familiar territory- there is no bond to a pack,if a member of their " clowder"(or colony);leaves the territory they will not venture to follow
There's much more to talk about regarding their natural,instinctual behavior buy I'm trying to summarize the reasons why it is unsafe to remove a cat from his/her familiar places(or territory) to walk on a leash- although your cat has A BOND with you -his territorial instinct is much stronger than that and in the event something goes wrong he will inevitably panic to get " home" and all bets are off

Sami has been trained since he was 6weeks old but I cannot take ALL the credit because also he is that " type" of cat-the type thst does well outside of his familiar territory and does not panic,he looks to me to get him home or safe....he is a certified Therapy Animal because he is indeed the right type

Walking cats outside is wonderful,my advice is always to use an escape proof harness with a safety collar attached as I've never found an escape proof harness to actually be escape proof when a panicked cat is determined to be free of the restraint of a leash- starting out very close to home to familiarize your cat with his surroundings and gradually expanding the area is important-you and your cat can certainly both enjoy an outdoor environment but safety must come first- understanding what & why a cat does what he does gives you a better idea of how to keep him/her safe because they are predictable- an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure- stay safe ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all. I'll think on it Spotty is 7 years old so it might be a very difficult transition. Not to mention, he jumps 8 foot in the air like it is nothing.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he's content inside and doesn't need more exercise, I wouldn't bother.

I tried teaching Daisy, but she's a panic merchant and has managed to escape two types of harness when she heard my neighbour moving around in her own unit. 🤦🏼‍♀️ The last one I bought was more secure, but it has big velcro fastenings and the noise of them also freaks her out, so I gave up.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poppy wasn't trained to the ways of a harness until he was 7 or 8.

You'll never know until you try. Start inside and expect The Flop until he learns it won't murder him. The mental stimulation that cats get from being in a safe environment outside is an enormous benefit to their overall well-being.