Anybody Use Before Grain Chicken...crumbling Issue?

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
AE21EF25-B49F-4783-B479-8FC5327E0B6B.jpeg
I have used Before Grain chicken for my 7 inside cats for years. But lately I’ve noticed a lot of crumbling of the kibbles when I opened the 11 lb bag. I order from both chewy and Amazon it found it from both sellers. When I contacted Before Grain and sent pictures with a description of the problem they responded with a thank you and some coupons! In my other life I used to work in a plant that made cattle feed like the kibble and used screens of a certain size for quality and to reduce the “fines” which is an industry name for crushed kibble.
The issue is the cats won’t eat the fines, it’s waste and spreads all over as the cats try to get the kibble.

As I said above I’ve just noticed this in the last year. Has anybody found similar With Before Grain?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bleh, I hate it when manufacturers change things up, and here you don't know if it's ingredients, processing, both or what...

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never fed Before Grain. When i use to feed them Evo i would get bags like that, some worse than others. When i would get to where the "fines" started showing up i would pour the rest of the bag in a colander to sift it out. My cats would not eat the food if it had a lot of the dusty crumbles. I have not had the problem with Dr. Elseys, i hope it doesn't start.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it’s a quality control issue or product is partially crushed in shipping. But the bags don’t appear to have had rough treatment. Never had this problem till recently.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I stopped using Evo for this same reason. It was messy, wasteful, and most importantly, the cats didn’t like it. I returned a couple of bags, but the next ones didn’t get any better. I switched to Rawz for awhile which the cats and I liked (the shape is easy for my older cats to eat), and now Dr. Elsey’s Clean Protein, thanks to duckpond’s recommendation. The cats love it.