Anybody decorating for Christmas already?

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I plan to take down my Halloween decorations and decorate for Christmas this weekend. Am I the only crazy person that is late putting up Halloween stuff and super early putting up Christmas decorations? I just can't wait anymore.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not decorated by I've browsed the decor for sale in every store I've been in that had it. I did buy a strand of pink/purple lights for my DDs tree tonight.

I also have a few thanksgiving things that i like to put out; so the Christmas stuff doesn't really fit yet. I did see a white berry tree on display at Wal-Mart that I liked a lot. It's not the traditional white tree; it's more my style with the berries. I'd decorate it with glitter poinsettias. I need a bigger house!!

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I don't usually decorate for Christmas but the house I moved into this summer has got a big fir tree in the garden and I'm thinking "Outdoor fairy lights, some ceramic or glass ornaments that wouldn't mind getting wet, a big tin star on the top........?"

I wonder if the cats would trash it?

How do you stop your cats from destroying your decorations?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More so because of my kids than my cats; I have unbreakable ornaments that I put on the lower part of the tree.  The more delicate ones get put toward the top.  The girls haven't tried to climb the tree in years.  

I'm a little nervous about the tree this year.  My son is 2 and climbs the baby gates we still have up.  I'm not sure how I will keep him out of it.  I may need to use the super yard (a freestanding gate you can shape by bending at hinges, similar to ones made for puppies).  I'm wondering if we shouldn't consider wiring it too.  

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The earliest I decorate is the weekend before Christmas, though most of the time I wait until Christmas Eve. Any earlier and I'd have to replace all the decorations, a.k.a. "cat toys".

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, I like to have Thanksgiving before I decorate Christmas. I have a beautiful fall wreath and pumpkin at my back door that I will leave through Thanksgiving. Also we had a celebration of fall at church on Halloween night. We played Bingo and I won a fall wreath made with the ribbon and fall decorations by a church member. I hung it on the door that comes into my house from the garage. I want to enjoy it some before I do Christmas. In fact, I am toying with whether or not and how much to decorate for Christmas. Nobody comes here as we go where our children are. We live on a side road in the country and after about eight o'clock in the evening, nobody comes by our house. We have decorated outside every year since 2003 when we moved into this house we built, but it was mostly for ourselves, not who would see it. I might just skip all that outside stuff and do my living room only.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm doing our kitchen next Tuesday as I have off work for Veterans Day. It's pretty much an all-day job, packing my everyday dishes and getting out all the Winterberry stuff. 

That will probably be it, though, until Thanksgiving weekend when we put the Christmas trees up. Rick will do outdoor decorating the Monday after Thanksgiving; around here, many people have off work for the first day of buck season, so he does his outdoor decorating then.

I don't know, I'm not really excited for Christmas yet. Usually by now, I'm bouncing off the walls. This year? Not so much.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You're kidding, right? 
 We celebrate Christmas the day after Thanksgiving (only time we can get all of DH's family together), and even I don't decorate before Thanksgiving! I can't stand the sight of Christmas stuff this early.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always have good intentions for decorating but never get around to it. Last year I got the Christmas tree up and lights on but never did anything else. We put it on the screened-in porch to protect it from kitties but it was too darn cold to ever go out there! This year we're putting it inside and will use hooks and fishing line to attach it to the wall in case of cat curiosity. We'll also use spray bottle deterrents to help keep them off (while we're home at least!). I really want to decorate as my mom always did and it makes everything seem cheery. 

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't decorate anymore, but my family always used to do it relatively last minute, like within the days before a family get together. Some people refuse to decorate here before Remembrance Day (Veteran's Day) just to show respect before everyone goes all commercially festive.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise

I always have good intentions for decorating but never get around to it. Last year I got the Christmas tree up and lights on but never did anything else. We put it on the screened-in porch to protect it from kitties but it was too darn cold to ever go out there! This year we're putting it inside and will use hooks and fishing line to attach it to the wall in case of cat curiosity. We'll also use spray bottle deterrents to help keep them off (while we're home at least!). I really want to decorate as my mom always did and it makes everything seem cheery. 
We wire the living room tree to the wall; it's the only way it doesn't get knocked over. Put your hooks into the wall, right above the baseboard. Two hooks, about 3 feet apart should do it. Once you have the tree up, wrap green wire (green isn't as noticeable) around the trunk of your tree then put the wire into the hooks. Tighten down. You can cover the wire with your tree skirt.....you shouldn't even see the wire much, if at all. We keep the hooks in the walls all the time; there's a chair there, so nobody can see them.

We have a very, very old (about 30 years old now) Mountain King tree that is hollow inside. The tree goes onto a round circle in sheets of branches that hook into the circle. I think there's eight sheets altogether. So there's really no way for the cats to get "into" this tree. I wish our other trees were like that.....it would be so much easier. That's partly why we don't get rid of this tree as it has definitely seen better times. But overall, it's perfect for us with the cats.

The bottom two feet or so of the tree is decorated with strictly unbreakables. Trying to tell a cat to stay away from the tree? You might as well tell ice not to melt on a sunny day. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

We wire the living room tree to the wall; it's the only way it doesn't get knocked over. Put your hooks into the wall, right above the baseboard. Two hooks, about 3 feet apart should do it. Once you have the tree up, wrap green wire (green isn't as noticeable) around the trunk of your tree then put the wire into the hooks. Tighten down. You can cover the wire with your tree skirt.....you shouldn't even see the wire much, if at all. We keep the hooks in the walls all the time; there's a chair there, so nobody can see them.

We have a very, very old (about 30 years old now) Mountain King tree that is hollow inside. The tree goes onto a round circle in sheets of branches that hook into the circle. I think there's eight sheets altogether. So there's really no way for the cats to get "into" this tree. I wish our other trees were like that.....it would be so much easier. That's partly why we don't get rid of this tree as it has definitely seen better times. But overall, it's perfect for us with the cats.

The bottom two feet or so of the tree is decorated with strictly unbreakables. Trying to tell a cat to stay away from the tree? You might as well tell ice not to melt on a sunny day. 

That sounds like a lot of hard work. The more of these posts I read the better that fir tree in the garden looks.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Years ago, one Saturday morning, Rick had gone into work for some OT. I went up to my parents for coffee. Our son and his GF were at home and still in bed. We had put the tree up in the living room, but it wasn't decorated.

Rick came home around 10:00 that morning. The cats were all in the window. He talked to them for a couple minutes, then walked over and unlocked the front door. Opened the door and......there was the Christmas tree. Right inside the door. Not only had the cats knocked the tree down, but somehow (and honestly, we STILL haven't figured out how), they got that tree down the steps to the landing at the front door. Rick stood there in shock for a couple minutes, trying to figure out how in the world they managed that one.

He asked our son and his GF (who were still in bed....well, she was in the bed; he was in a sleeping bag on the floor) if they had anything to do with the tree. They swore up and down they had nothing to do with it. 

To this day, we do not know how 8 cats managed to knock a tree to the floor and down a flight of steps to the front door.

But it's been wired to the wall every year after that episode.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My pumpkin is still sitting outside, but otherwise my Halloween "decorations" are down. All I did was put windows clings on the doors and I just took them off and threw them out because they weren't in very good shape after my 2 year old pulling at them every time I opened the door. 

I won't start decorating until the first weekend in December. We are getting rid of the ugly fake tree this year and going to get a real one. My favourite thing when I was a kid was picking out a real tree and setting it up and I want to do that for my kids too. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is a lot of work but I so enjoy the outcome. Last year my dad and his gf spent thanksgiving about 4 hours from here with her family; so they spent part of the weekend after here. I never get to spend Christmas with my family because of DHs job. Only my mother and stepfather live local. So we took the opportunity to "have Christmas" together. That meant Thanksgiving, decorating, and hosting Christmas complete with dinner all in one weekend. At this point i don't remember where we ate thanksgiving...here or at my mother's. But we split cooking either way. It was great though. We also keep the decorations up until after New years. I used to keep them up till mid January but now that i have Dds birthday in January I need the tree down earlier.

caltritwiamb4

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have tubs of decorations for Halloween, Autumn, Christmas, Valentines Day, and Easter. I have only accumulated all holiday decorations since having my daughter. Before her I only decorated for Christmas and Easter. It has become too much work taking down and putting up decorations . It seems just when I have normal every day decorations back up it's time to decorate for another holiday. This year I didn't decorate for Halloween except to put a halloween wreath on the door and a few things outside. I am contemplating whether or not to pull the Autumn decorations out and just wait until Dec to put Christmas decorations up. I never put the Christmas decorations up before the second week in Dec but they stay up until the first or second week in January.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I always say 1 Holiday at a time.    Tomorrow is Veterans today. I'm putting a picture of my Daddy up on Facebook. Then Thanksgiving and then Christmas ,New Years Day. But if my sister in law brings me her old Christmas lights they may go up 1 day before Thanksgiving.  Before I moved 2 yrs ago, I gave all my Christmas items away to my old manager because I didn't want to bring them to my new apartment and I haven't decorate for Christmas since. It is only me and my husband so why should I ?  My old apartment was so decorated it was crazy.

Last edited: