Any Theories As To Why My Cat Just Peed Outside Litter Box After Eating New Food?

rattatat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks to you all i decided to buy my senior overweight cat grain free wet food. i just gave her half a can of weruva tuna & chicken 4-eva and she started lapping it up immediately (ate about 2/3 of 1/2 a can, so i guess i will be feeding her 1/3 can 3x a day and some grain free dry food if this works out...) anyway, she immediately ate 2/3 of the can, lapping it up - then immediately after that headed straight to her litter box and i see she peed a great amount right outside of the litter box on the floor. She has NEVER done either of these things before (pee outside litter box, pee right after eating). something about the food made her run to the litter box, and i am wondering why she peed outside of it. any ideas? is it just an adjustment?this was her very first feeding of weruva (i also bought her nature variety's instinct and will test that out in a few weeks, but i was hoping weruva would work as it's much more inexpensive...) any help appreciated, thank you!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Usually when transitioning foods, what we see in cats is diarrhea, so I think this could possibly be unrelated. I’d recommend monitoring her, to see if she goes outside the litterbox again, and then calling the vet to see what they what they think.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My first thought is that it's likely coincidental. I don't know how old your kitty is, but mine is getting up there a bit and when she has to go, she has to go immediately. If she tries to hold it to eat or get some treats I might find a dribble on the litterbox entrance and it directly in the middle inside, like she just sat on top and peed down into it because she couldn't make it (top entry litterbox). Maybe your girl needed to go before she ate but the food was too good to wait! I know some Weruva flavors are incredibly liquidy, so add that to an already full bladder... I would just wait and see if it keeps happening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rattatat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok thank you!! i just realized i got b.f.f. by weruva on amazon, not realizing there are different kinds of weruva. i had seen tons of 5 star reviews but now i see a lot of one star reviews - people are saying it's bad that it has carrageenan, that it's not like the one they get at the store, that it has been recalled in other countries, made in thailand, etc etc. my cat is not even facing me like usual, she is acting weird. i've tried different foods before and she never reacts like this, i think it might be someone selling fake crap or bad food on amazon....i have to check and see if she has diarreah but i don't want to risk making her sick. i didn't see, for some reason just how many one star reviews there are. any particular type of weruva anyone recommend? i can search through forums later.

rattatat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My first thought is that it's likely coincidental. I don't know how old your kitty is, but mine is getting up there a bit and when she has to go, she has to go immediately. If she tries to hold it to eat or get some treats I might find a dribble on the litterbox entrance and it directly in the middle inside, like she just sat on top and peed down into it because she couldn't make it (top entry litterbox). Maybe your girl needed to go before she ate but the food was too good to wait! I know some Weruva flavors are incredibly liquidy, so add that to an already full bladder... I would just wait and see if it keeps happening.
ok thank you! i will keep this in mind. i also wrote above, same time you wrote - that it's b.f.f. by weruva, and possible a bad, fake or crappy batch - i bought it on amazon not having seen all the one star reviews :/ ididn't realize there are better kinds of weruva. also am reading i should stay away from carrageenan....aye aye aye...

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't think it's just the carrageenan because that's in tons of other canned foods as well. Much of Weruva is made in Thailand, so that's not unusual either. Did you check the expiration date on the can? Does it have any ingredients her tummy isn't used to, like the tuna? Is she used to consuming so much liquid in one sitting? My cat doesn't like Weruva (I'm so thankful for that since it's out of the budget), so I can't recommend any of her favorites but my aunt feeds it and I'm very familiar with her feeding routine. Her ibd kitty throws up less on it than on other foods. She feeds paw lickin chicken, chicken frick a zee, mideast feast (sparingly), nine liver, grandma's chicken soup, funky chunky, green eggs and chicken...I'm sure I'm missing some somewhere. She's been buying them off of Chewy ever since I introduced her to that wonderful website. They do have a variety pack you can try. Chewy also lets you return or refund anything your cat doesn't like! Soulistic at Petco is also made by Weruva and it's a bit cheaper. Every once in a while I'll get my cat a couple cans of pate and shreds.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed quite a bit of weruva. I also occasionally feed the BFF tuna and chicken 4 Eva, it is one of the BFF caned foods that does not have Carrageenan. Most of Weruva foods do not have Carrageenan, but a few of the older flavors do, so you have to watch. Many people say no problems with Carrageenan, many people say there are problems. I tend to fall on the side of i do not feed foods with it.

I think it may be coincidence about the food, and litter box accident. To be safe i would have a vet visit to make sure that nothing is going on health wise.

I feed quite a bit of Weruva, Tiki cat after dark, Almo nature the complete foods, Against the grain, Fussie cat super premium, Nulo Minced flavors only, American journey wet food, and Fancy feast. nutro minced chicken and sliced turkey, and Earthborn.

I also love amazon, but i dont order food from them, i have gotten bad foods. I order from a few online places that only deal with pet foods.

Wet Cat Food: Low Prices, Top Brands - Free Shipping | Chewy.com
Canned Food for Cats at Only Natural Pet Store
https://www.thebigbadwoof.com/

for comparing i use

http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

rattatat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't think it's just the carrageenan because that's in tons of other canned foods as well. Much of Weruva is made in Thailand, so that's not unusual either. Did you check the expiration date on the can? Does it have any ingredients her tummy isn't used to, like the tuna? Is she used to consuming so much liquid in one sitting? My cat doesn't like Weruva (I'm so thankful for that since it's out of the budget), so I can't recommend any of her favorites but my aunt feeds it and I'm very familiar with her feeding routine. Her ibd kitty throws up less on it than on other foods. She feeds paw lickin chicken, chicken frick a zee, mideast feast (sparingly), nine liver, grandma's chicken soup, funky chunky, green eggs and chicken...I'm sure I'm missing some somewhere. She's been buying them off of Chewy ever since I introduced her to that wonderful website. They do have a variety pack you can try. Chewy also lets you return or refund anything your cat doesn't like! Soulistic at Petco is also made by Weruva and it's a bit cheaper. Every once in a while I'll get my cat a couple cans of pate and shreds.
gosh you all teach me so much it's insane, i am so grateful. thanks for telling me about thailand and carrageenan. i did not check expiry date and she is not used to tuna. this did not give her diarreah, only pee. no she is no used to all that liquid. no i did not know how cool chewy is but now i know why thanks to you!!!! ohhhh thank you so much!!

rattatat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed quite a bit of weruva. I also occasionally feed the BFF tuna and chicken 4 Eva, it is one of the BFF caned foods that does not have Carrageenan. Most of Weruva foods do not have Carrageenan, but a few of the older flavors do, so you have to watch. Many people say no problems with Carrageenan, many people say there are problems. I tend to fall on the side of i do not feed foods with it.

I think it may be coincidence about the food, and litter box accident. To be safe i would have a vet visit to make sure that nothing is going on health wise.

I feed quite a bit of Weruva, Tiki cat after dark, Almo nature the complete foods, Against the grain, Fussie cat super premium, Nulo Minced flavors only, American journey wet food, and Fancy feast. nutro minced chicken and sliced turkey, and Earthborn.

I also love amazon, but i dont order food from them, i have gotten bad foods. I order from a few online places that only deal with pet foods.

Wet Cat Food: Low Prices, Top Brands - Free Shipping | Chewy.com
Canned Food for Cats at Only Natural Pet Store
The Big Bad Woof | Pet Store & Delivery

for comparing i use

http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat
thank you for ALL of this info! to be on the safe side i wll avoid amazon too from now on. i am going to try out some of the other brands you suggest too and check out those sites. i am so grateful for your response, thank you!