Any recommendations for a senior cat?

VanCatMa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello there,

I wanted to ask if anyone can recommend a moist senior cat food, that contains glucosamine, chondroitin, AND omega?

I ask because Hill's Science Diet is no longer producing their Moist Senior Vitality cat food, a food that my 14 year old Cat ate well, one that helped to sustain her good health.

It's disheartening that cat food manufacturers, overall, do not appear to consider the diverse nutritional needs of older cats, and offer a product that is capable of meeting the nutritional needs of mature cats.

Thank you for your insight.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I’s suggest buying a good quality non-veterinary cat food (unless your kitty has other nutritional requirements, such as low phosphorus for kidneys) and just supplementing glucosamine and chondroitin seperately (most good foods will have good sources of omega. Does he need extra for his health?). It’ll most likely work out cheaper, and you’d be able to feed better quality food than Hills. is your cat picky when it comes to wet food? What’s your budget like? Assuming you’re in the US, some good middle ground options that aren’t super expensive, but not budget include Tiki Cat, Smalls, and Ziwi Peak. Tiki (depending on the line) and Smalls are the more affordable of the three, iirc.

Last edited:

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can't help with the specific supplement needs, but my 11 year old boy gets purevita and Rawz pate as they are both good wet food. He has hard time understanding how to munch so I have to stick with something he can lick up, but if your cat doesn't have that problem there's even more options listed by Maurey above that's great. I love tiki cat after dark shreds for my younger cat due to the high protein and quality ingredients.

I was told somewhere on here that especially for seniors having a good amount of protein and fat is important as they can easily start losing body mass when older. He's become very youthful and energetic on this diet after changing from bad kibble.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VanCatMa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’s suggest buying a good quality non-veterinary cat food (unless your kitty has other nutritional requirements, such as low phosphorus for kidneys) and just supplementing glucosamine and chondroitin seperately (most good foods will have good sources of omega. Does he need extra for his health?). It’ll most likely work out cheaper, and you’d be able to feed better quality food than Hills. is your cat picky when it comes to wet food? What’s your budget like? Assuming you’re in the US, some good middle ground options that aren’t super expensive, but not budget include Tiki Cat, Smalls, and Ziwi Peak. Tiki (depending on the line) and Smalls are the more affordable of the three, iirc.
Thank you for your reply. I have heard many good things about Tiki Cat. I am less familiar with Ziwi Peak, but I can certainty do some research. Thank you for taking the time! My Willow and I appreciate it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VanCatMa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't help with the specific supplement needs, but my 11 year old boy gets purevita and Rawz pate as they are both good wet food. He has hard time understanding how to munch so I have to stick with something he can lick up, but if your cat doesn't have that problem there's even more options listed by Maurey above that's great. I love tiki cat after dark shreds for my younger cat due to the high protein and quality ingredients.

I was told somewhere on here that especially for seniors having a good amount of protein and fat is important as they can easily start losing body mass when older. He's become very youthful and energetic on this diet after changing from bad kibble.
Thank you for your reply. Rawz is a great brand and I like what I have heard about it, and I will look into their cat food. My cat was always energetic, she's 14.7 years old. I think it's time for a better quality food for her, like the brands you both recommended. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with me.