Any natural remedies for heart and thyroid

blankenshipscott15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all would anyone know of any natural remedies for heart disease and thyroid? I feel like the meds are doing more harm . She gets fluid around her lungs and heart the meds for that is a Anapril and for thyroid is methimazole. Thanks

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I can only speak for the thyroid issue since our cat was recently diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism. Is your cat on the transdermal gel form of Methimazole? The reason I asked is because it has less side effects than the pill form. So far our cat has responded well with no side effects. His Free T-4 levels came down significantly as well. We are looking into Radioactive Iodine therapy since it is the best long term treatment with a 95 - 98% cure rate. It also avoids surgery, anesthesia and drugs.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The closest thing to a 'natural' remedy for hyperthyroidism is the vet prescribed food with restricted levels of iodine in it. But, for this to help your cat, it is supposed to be the sole food eaten. Many times there are side effects from methimazole if the dosage is too high, and tbh, many vets prescribe too high dosages to start off with. Lower doses to begin with and then raised if needed help a cat's body adjust to the medication and greatly reduces the chance of adverse reactions. So, that might be something for you to consider. Have you joined (for free) the Hyperthyroid forum to talk to them about what is going on ([email protected] | Home )?

As far as the heart/lung med (Enalapril rather than Anapril by any chance??), there are other options that your cat may handle better than the particular drug she is on. Something to ask your vet about. Let them know why you think it is bad for your cat, and perhaps they will suggest a different type based on your concerns.

If you really think you have to go down the 'natural remedy' path, have you considered a holistic vet? They would be in a much better position to work with you and your cat and customize a program specifically for her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I was thinking Enalapril as well. Anipryl is for canine dementia. I do not have a lot to add except to encourage you to consider the advice given above. Fiona was on Felimazole for several years for thyroid and did very well on it; however, dosage and delivery method can make a difference to some animals. Jamie is currently on atenolol for his blood pressure and seems fine so far. He has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

Just my opinion, but I am not one to substitute natural remedies for standard medical conditions. If they can be used safely in conjunction, that is another story. If you are going to try holistic meds, absolutely find a professional to help you.