Any ideas for getting a single cat to lose 2/3 lbs in a seven household?

LEGENDofBEVERLY

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I just ran most of my (six 17~19 month old kittens, one 11 year old cat) through their annual Vet trips and one is now offically diagnosed as a Chunka-suarus (15.9 lbs). Not super bad but overweight enough that the doc said it be ideal if he lost a couple lbs by next years visit. I've mostly confirmed how he got so big while there other 5 haven't and I've got most of a plan for getting him down some without dramatically changing how everyone eats but I though i would share as see what you guys think.

Frist we need more playtime. That part wont be too bad. The food part scares me a bit more.

Right now I'm offering each of them about 1/2 a cup of dry (a 1/4 cup scoop twice a day into different bowls) & around half a 5.5 oz can of wet a day. It looks like most of them are only eatting part of what they are given and my big boy is swinging by after and mopping up the rest. So my plan is to set up auto feeders with 3-4 smaller feedings a day and changing over to 1.3 oz servings of wet food at night. Most of them are leaving a lot of the wet stuff behind so the hope is with less in the bowl everyone will still get what they need there will be less for post meal grazing by my big boy.

I did something similar with another large cat about 4 years ago (got him from 27 lbs down to ~15.5 lbs) but the situation was a little different (2 cats instead of 6, worked from home over Covid instead of 8-10 hour work days plus commute). I'm hoping to get similar results but wanted to toss it out for any thoughts or ideas you guys might have.

Thanks for taking the time to read and for typing out any replies!

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I had some tips, but just a similar issue here. Vet wants boy kitty to lose 2 pounds. But girl kitty has health issues and struggles to maintain. Girl kitty likes to graze. But boy kitty will eat any of her food if I leave it out for her. It’s SO FRUSTRATING. I take her into a separate room to eat, but she only eats a bit. I’d love to hear tips from other folks. I’ve even thought of asking my husband to build a little “feeding house” that only she can fit into. But I don’t know if she’ll go for it

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My 3 cats are 7,8, and 9pds on an all wet diet 3x a day. Mixture of dry is ok but have it be their mid day meal. They are fed 3x a day in separate rooms. One of my cats goes back and forth 3 times in the morning probably because she has been without food for 9 hours. They all eat less calories than the suggested amount for their weight

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We bought microchip feeders for all our cats and portion their food, feeding twice a day.

There are some of our cats who have to be separated from the cat who gets an endless portion (because he doesn’t eat enough). The food hogs will crowd him when he tries to eat and pull food out of his feeder, then he loses interest and walks away without eating. So there are at least 2-3 of our cats who can’t be with him or his feeder.