Any help would be Greatly appreciated!!

Tlong154

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My household is a multi cat home. Over labor day weekend my partner and I noticed the signs of a full blown flea infestation. So we put 3 cats in 1 room, kept our new kitten in his side room, and unfortunately had to put our long haired cat outside (he came from outside) til his groomers appointment that's been 2 months in the making. Last Sunday everyone was treated with Advantage and on Tuesday our 2nd youngest Prince went for his annual exam and rabies vac. Well the doc informed us he had a fever and couldnt do the rabies at that time. They gave him fluids and an antibiotic shot and sent him home. Next day Wed, he wasnt eating or drinking and still had a fever. So we took him back to the vet he got more fluids and this time a shot to reset the temp in his brain. Which seemed to help for the rest of the day. Our vet said that if he wasnt better by Friday to bring him back and they would do blood work. So he went Friday got more fluids another reset Temp shot and the blood work. They called us Saturday saying his bloodwork looked okay and that if he got worse before Monday to take him to the ER. He still wouldn't eat so we tried force feeding with a syringe but he couldnt keep anything down and his temp was rising so we went to the ER. They gave him fluids and an anti nausea meds and did an x ray. They said his intestines looked a little "stacked" but that they didnt believe he had a foreign object in there and that if we could just get him to eat maybe his bowels would move. Well hes been home 12 hrs and still dosent want to eat and we can barely force any food into him. We are beyond scared and freaked out. Prince is up to date on all shots except the rabies at this point and only cuz he couldnt get it due to fever on tuesday. Hes starting to drool some and when we put food in front of him he sticks his tongue out and licks his lips. And turns his head away. Any ideas or advice would be truly appreciated.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! I am sorry that this crisis has brought you here. One question.....is the cat who is ill the one who was put outside? Sorry if I did not understand that part.

The other thing that I want to mention is that the expression "stacked" in reference to an animal's intestines is not just a descriptive term and does not mean that they are constipated. Now, I was not in the room with you and the vet and cannot diagnose your cat, but "stacked" refers to a condition known as intussusception and is very serious. It happens when one section of the intestines slides back into another section and can cause tissue death or a serious blockage. If your cat has this condition, it is critical and he needs help. It would also explain why none of your endeavors are working.

Stacking usually has nothing to do with a foreign object.

Folding of the Intestines | PetMD

I could be completely wrong about this, but since the term "stacking" was used, I think that you need to bring this concern to the ER or regular vet and find out what the next step is and if this is really what they think that your cat has.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
After reading the above info from fionasmom fionasmom , did you call the ER Vet and discuss? Also, did you inform all Vets involved that you had given Advantage to the cats. Loss of appetite and lethargy can be a side effect, although I don't see that fever is a side effect. But they definitely need to know. Is he anemic? Are his gums pale? The blood work should have shown this, But with a full bflown flea infestation, it's possible he has become anemic. That can also cause loss of appetite.