Any guesses what may be wrong with my cat?

Seipher09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat who is 2 years and a month old. He is a male of normal weight and is an American mixed breed.

One day I woke up and fed him, he didn't want to eat any food and just stayed in one spot most of the day not wanting to do anything. Later in the day he ate his food, got energy and wanted to be pet and play. The next day he was perfectly fine.

The 3rd day again we woke up and he didn't want to eat or do anything but later in the day he was perfectly fine.

The 4th day he was fine.
The 5th day he ATE but did not want to do anything else. Later in the day though he was fine and playing.
The 6th day he ate and was fine.
The 7th day he ate, but again just lays in one spot all day and doesn't want to play or move or be bothered.

Any ideas what could be causing something like this? He keeps going from perfectly fine to just being extremely sick seeming.

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If that were my cat, I definitely would take it to the vet and get bloodwork done. But that is just me.
If it were our own bodies acting like that, we would want professional help and not guesses!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: My first question is - when's the last time he had a complete vet exam? Does he go outside or is he strictly an indoor cat? Is he neutered? Has he shown any change in his litter box habits? Cats can mask their pain and the symptoms you mentioned above should be discussed with your vet. Also ask your vet to check his teeth. Often cats can have dental issues that cause a change in behavior. This Article may have some helpful tips and information for you:
Cat Acting Strangely? Here's What It Could Mean - TheCatSite

Glad you joined the forum and please keep us posted on his progress. Good luck!

Last edited:

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seipher09 Seipher09 I could be way off track but how is the weather where you are? Is it extremely hot? Does he eat wet or dry food? If it is dry food does he drink enough to compensate for not getting hydration from the wet food?
How is his urine output? How are his bathroom habits in general have you noticed any changes?
Have you talked to his vet to discuss your concerns? As mentioned above cats are very good at hiding when they are sick or in pain...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Seipher09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: My first question is - when's the last time he had a complete vet exam? Does he go outside or is he strictly an indoor cat? Is he neutered? Has he shown any change in his litter box habits? Cats can mask their pain and the symptoms you mentioned above should be discussed with your vet. Also ask your vet to check his teeth. Often cats can have dental issues that cause a change in behavior. This Article may have some helpful tips and information for you:
Cat Acting Strangely? Here's What It Could Mean - TheCatSite

Glad you joined the forum and please keep us posted on his progress. Good luck!
The weather has been very hot (but I do have the AC on). He eats only wet food, the purina pro plan. He seems to be using the bathroom normally. I do have his vet appointment scheduled for tomorrow to get blood work done. Just been really worried all day.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he meowing more than usual or perhaps different? As to indicate he is in some kind of pain?

For example my girl just had tummy problems and she is a vocal cat already but she was being more vocal and her meow sounded whiney for her...

Is he hiding? Have you noticed if anything is hurting him? Like if you pet him does he have a certain spot that usually he doesn't mind and he accepts pets but recently is there a certain spot that if you pet he tries to bite or swat? Any other behavior that is just out of character for him??
Is he neutered
How is his urine output?
Does you know if when he goes to the litter box if he is straining to pee or poop?
Do you notice if the amount of times he goes is normal for him?