Any Crocheters?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Asking for a friend: does anyone know if there are any patterns where you can crochet the border the same time you're crocheting the blanket? All the patterns we see have you add the border after. I have done this with knit, but I'm not too good at crochet. Seems like it could be done, but we have no idea how to go about it.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Whether you add a border on after the main item is crocheted or just continue on with pan edging stitch, it’s basically doing the same thing. You just start at one corner and crochet in your edging pattern.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've crocheted afghans that didn't have a border at all, but if you want a border, it would look a lot better doing it after the main afghan is complete, especially if it's a patchwork-style afghan.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it depends what kind of border and what kind of blanket you're talking about. I'm currently in the middle of crocheting a blanket using a variant of Afghan stitch (though I think they have a new name for it now). That means that each row involves drawing a loop up onto the hook for each stitch all the way across, then working them off all the way back. The blanket is 100 stitches wide, which with the large yarn I'm using comes to 44 inches (over 111 cm.). The Afghan hook is a bamboo hook 8 inches long, with a flexible plastic tail that brings it to 23 inches, with a large bead on the end to keep stitches from sliding off. If I decide to add a border to the blanket when I'm done it will be something lacy that goes clear around, at a right angle to the blanket, and I'll want to use a normal length hook to do it. There's no way I could crochet that while I'm in the process of crocheting the blanket itself.

Margret

Last edited:

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
In case you think adding on an edging is complicated, it’s really simple. All you do is create your first loop on your hook like you do when you are starting a new piece and then go into a loop on your crocheted piece like you would if you were just adding a row. After that it’s just usual crocheting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whether you add a border on after the main item is crocheted or just continue on with pan edging stitch, it’s basically doing the same thing. You just start at one corner and crochet in your edging pattern.
I don't remember enough about crocheting to understand this exactly. What she
I think it depends what kind of border and what kind of blanket you're talking about. I'm currently in the middle of crocheting a blanket using a variant of Afghan stitch (though I think they have a new name for it now). That means that each row involves drawing a loop up onto the hook for each stitch all the way across, then working them off all the way back. The blanket is 100 stitches wide, which with the large yarn I'm using comes to 44 inches (over 111 cm.). The Afghan hook is a bamboo hook 8 inches long, with a flexible plastic tail that brings it to 23 inches, with a large bead on the end to keep stitches from sliding off. If I decide to add a border to the blanket when I'm done it will be something lacy that goes clear around, at a right angle to the blanket, and I'll want to use a normal length hook to do it. There's no way I could crochet that while I'm in the process of crocheting the blanket itself.

Margret
I haven't done much crocheting for a long time, but I used a stitch like that to make double sided wash cloths. Crochet and keep the loops on the needle then back the other way with a different color. I don't know what the stitch was called, but I enjoyed it. I'm more into knitting these days, but a friend was looking for a pattern she could do that would create the border as she went. Sounds like nobody thinks that's a very good idea.

In case you think adding on an edging is complicated, it’s really simple. All you do is create your first loop on your hook like you do when you are starting a new piece and then go into a loop on your crocheted piece like you would if you were just adding a row. After that it’s just usual crocheting.
No, it's not me, I'm more of a knitter these days. A friend asked if I knew how to do it so I thought I'd poke around a bit. You can make a border as you go in knitting, thought maybe you could with crochet too.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she would still have to go around the outside to make the border and that's not what she was looking for.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've crocheted afghans that didn't have a border at all, but if you want a border, it would look a lot better doing it after the main afghan is complete, especially if it's a patchwork-style afghan.
I don't think she wants to do patchwork or granny stitch, just a blanket with a border, but I'm seeing nobody thinks that would be do-able.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think she wants to do patchwork or granny stitch, just a blanket with a border, but I'm seeing nobody thinks that would be do-able.
I guess I'm confused on what the goal is for the blanket. Do you have an example of a knitted version so I can understand better?