Any Advice On Pet Custodian/caretaker For Dead Owner?

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
playerdark playerdark - I'm going to add my voice to those who've urged you to consult with your legal counsel. Joint tenancy and right of survivorship - unless you have a will which specifically states your desires - will prevail for your Spouse upon your death.
I'll add that if you are a senior citizen, many towns have senior centers that provide services. Sometimes lawyers volunteer time to prepare trusts and wills at greatly reduced rates.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Myself and kittyma are in the process of making a family trust right now. We can trust each other to care for the kitties, but if something was to happen to both of us, our pet sitter will get the house and the cats along with some money so they can stay at home. We don't have any children.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any lawyer worth his salt will give you a 20-minute consultation without charge.

Just make your appointment, tell them what you want and why. They will tell you whether they can help, what they can or cannot do and they will tell you how much it costs.

Websites can provide good legal services but only an in-person visit with a lawyer from your state who knows the laws of your jurisdiction can answer your questions with authority.

If your estate isn't very complicated, it shouldn't cost much.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to find out more about this too. My sister and I have figured out what to do with our dogs in the case of our untimely deaths, but I don't really have an option for my cats. I'm guessing she would find a no-kill shelter to give them to, but I'd like to have a better plan than that.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd like to find out more about this too. My sister and I have figured out what to do with our dogs in the case of our untimely deaths, but I don't really have an option for my cats. I'm guessing she would find a no-kill shelter to give them to, but I'd like to have a better plan than that.
Very strange that provision would be made for the dogs but not for the cats?!! :disappointed::confused2: Find a good attorney who is knowledgeable in animal law and make provision for them right away! And if you do not find a reputable sanctuary or rescue in your area, you can try going to Best Friends' site at BestFriends.org -- they have lots of resources and may be able to direct you -- and/or Alley Cat Allies' site at alleycat.org -- they are the national database for all things "cat".

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Very strange that provision would be made for the dogs but not for the cats?!! :disappointed::confused2: Find a good attorney who is knowledgeable in animal law and make provision for them right away! And if you do not find a reputable sanctuary or rescue in your area, you can try going to Best Friends' site at BestFriends.org -- they have lots of resources and may be able to direct you -- and/or Alley Cat Allies' site at alleycat.org -- they are the national database for all things "cat".
Its just because my sister has a very "special" dog. He requires a lot of hands on care and he's killed cats before. So If I were to ever die, my sister could take Bosco but she can't take my cats. If anything happened to my sister my dad would take her dogs, but if something happened to all my family (God forbid) I would probably have to rehome my cats so that I could care for my sisters dog. My cats could survive in another home, but her dog would surely be euthanized. That would be the only way that every pet could live. Ben is very special but he can't be cared for by just anyone. So either way Ben and my cats just won't mix. It's not like I haven't thought about my cats, I just know that if either me or my whole family where to die, I know that no one can take them, unlike with Bosco. So I haven't really figured out a plan for them. I guess I just trust that my sister would find a good home for them, but I'd like a better plan than that. We've talked it all through before and just can't find a home for them within the family.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its just because my sister has a very "special" dog. He requires a lot of hands on care and he's killed cats before. So If I were to ever die, my sister could take Bosco but she can't take my cats. If anything happened to my sister my dad would take her dogs, but if something happened to all my family (God forbid) I would probably have to rehome my cats so that I could care for my sisters dog. My cats could survive in another home, but her dog would surely be euthanized. That would be the only way that every pet could live. Ben is very special but he can't be cared for by just anyone. So either way Ben and my cats just won't mix. It's not like I haven't thought about my cats, I just know that if either me or my whole family where to die, I know that no one can take them, unlike with Bosco. So I haven't really figured out a plan for them. I guess I just trust that my sister would find a good home for them, but I'd like a better plan than that. We've talked it all through before and just can't find a home for them within the family.
Yeah, I always counsel people never to trust family members to care for your loved ones when you are gone, because in my advocacy work on behalf of cats I've seen far, far too many people betray this trust.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't made any special arrangements for my pets. I really should though. My family members are under strict orders to take my life insurance money and bribe every no-kill pet group heavily. I'm sure the dogs will go to the dog sanctuary in Nebraska if local placements can't be found (one of them is insane from past abuse and can't go to a regular home), but the cats will be harder to place. I just have to try very hard to not get into a car accident. . .

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
MOD NOTE: a large number of posts have been removed as the posts had taken the thread completely off topic.
If you wish to continue the discussion, please create your own thread in the appropriate forum.