Any Advice For Training Two Wild Kittens Quickly?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided to try and tame two kittens I trapped, they are around four months old. They have just gotten fixed and deloused. The will be coming to my tiny apartment tomorrow (I have four cats already). I need to get them tamed as quickly as possible. I may try the burrito method, where you bundle them up in a towel and hold them. I know some people are against this method, but I'm not really sure why. I know about leaving them in a room, interacting with them during meal time. But I am also considering keeping them in a kennel by my desk while I work, so I can spend more time with them. I can not keep these kittens for a long. If they do not come around fairly quickly I will have to release them back by the dumpsters where they were born to have a short miserable life. I am open to any help or suggestions.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like a solid plan. The more time they have directly around you the better. I am actually a fan of purritos. And keep this in my quick images for just such occasions. It's also the method recommended by Hannah, the Kitten Lady.

One thing to keep in mind is don't create caves. Caves are places where the kittens can 100% hide from everything. They can't see or be seen. Do give them places were they can be seen but have some security, like a cat pod bed, covered bed, cardboard box with a side cut out. A coccon to transform them from a scared kitty to a social kitty....
Since you have two pay attention that they don't feed off each other in a negative manner. There may be a point where you need to separate them. It doesn't happen every time but some times they can feed off each other's fears. It can work though if one breaks through quickly and the other follows the positive example. Just have a plan B for how to separate if that is an issue.

Good luck!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The burrito method is usually more effective on much younger kittens,who are more receptive to being held and more easily socialized. Four month old feral kittens may bite and attack you if you try to wrap them and restrain them. It may cause them a great deal of upset and stress and hinder the process. You might consider contacting your local Humane Society. Many of them have foster programs for feral kittens. You can't always rush the socialization process of older feral kittens, it can take several months, which is why a foster program is ideal if you're unable to do it yourself. You have already improved their lives by getting them neutered.

Last edited:

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry my post posted twice and I couldn't delete the second one

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is no quick tried and true method. Time and patience is needed. Some may more quickly through the process and others can take months and months. I find that when I try to rush the process, it back fires in my face. I need to take a pace that works well with each cat. Some are very willing and eager while others may always be more shy and afraid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice. They just arrived. The tuxedo girl, Chrissy is petable, but growls. The black girl, Nickie is climbing the walls completely feral. They are just in one small crate together for today. But I have some wire cubes arriving tomorrow, so I will make a big crate out of them and keep them separate since the black one is so fearful. Finding fosters here (Houston) is highly unlikely because of the large number of unwanted animals. I work with an organization that is always trying to find fosters. The Humane Society here kills the majority of cats they take in. So I do what I can. I will try to be patient. I guess I will give myself two months to tame them and reevaluate then, if a little more time will help or if they have to go back outside.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's some pictures. They are scared to death, so I'm leaving them alone a little while to acclimate to their new environment.

Chrissy.jpg
Nickie.jpg

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They may be too big for the kitty burrito. :(

From the pictures, they look cautiously scared not shut down scared. Which is huge. My girl was feral and she gets shut down scared so I know the look well Their pupils aren't huge, ears are alert, the one is making noise, both look engaged with what is going on, and they don't look like they trying to be smaller. Obviously, one photo can't tell the entire tale but I'd be optimistic if I am seeing things right.

4theloveofcats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I won over a 7 year old feral with stinky and tasty food.

Good food, really tasty food is my feral cat secret weapon.

Sardines (no salt added, not smoked) , tuna in olive oil (again no salt added) and cooked chicken thighs with scrambled eggs are my favorites. Cats do need taurine and other supplements, so check google to make sure they're getting everything they need on top of this.

Do you have toys for them?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They may be too big for the kitty burrito. :(

From the pictures, they look cautiously scared not shut down scared. Which is huge. My girl was feral and she gets shut down scared so I know the look well Their pupils aren't huge, ears are alert, the one is making noise, both look engaged with what is going on, and they don't look like they trying to be smaller. Obviously, one photo can't tell the entire tale but I'd be optimistic if I am seeing things right.
The pictures might be misleading. They have not moved and have not eaten or used the litter box. I was able to spoon feed them some Gerber baby food.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I won over a 7 year old feral with stinky and tasty food.

Good food, really tasty food is my feral cat secret weapon.

Sardines (no salt added, not smoked) , tuna in olive oil (again no salt added) and cooked chicken thighs with scrambled eggs are my favorites. Cats do need taurine and other supplements, so check google to make sure they're getting everything they need on top of this.

Do you have toys for them?
Thanks for the food suggestions, I will try to win them over with food. I have a few toys for them and when they are tame enough they can run around in my room, I got a nice cat tree for Christmas.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chrissy the black and white one is doing well and is tame enough to attend adoptions. She will be going with the rescue lady next week. But Nickie the black girl is not coming around. She hides and runs from me and always resists and growls when I pick her up. I am trying to hold out hope that she will change her mind and start trusting me.
Nickie.jpg
Chrissy.jpg
ChrisandNick.jpg

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Surya, can you keep her? Or do you have other resident kitties that you could socialize her with? I've socialized 2 adult ferals and 7 kittens (though the kittens were no more than 10-12 weeks when I got them). I found that interaction with friendly residents seemed to help, though it needs to be done slowly and with supervision.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surya, can you keep her? Or do you have other resident kitties that you could socialize her with? I've socialized 2 adult ferals and 7 kittens (though the kittens were no more than 10-12 weeks when I got them). I found that interaction with friendly residents seemed to help, though it needs to be done slowly and with supervision.
No I can't keep her, I wish I could. Since her sister will be leaving, I can try letting her hang out with some of my kitties. I have one alpha alley cat who hates kittens, so I will keep her away from him.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The black kitten, Nickie is tame now as far as holding her, she purrs and enjoys being petted. She jumps on my bed in the morning to get me to feed her. But except for feeding time, she runs away from me. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not bad at all for just 4 weeks by my count. Matter of fact...wow!

One note about running at feeding. Remember when they feed they have to take attention away from their surroundings and be at their most vulnerable, with the exception of using the litter box. I have rescues I’ve had with me for three years. You can pet them, play, pick them up, but try petting them when feeding, no way! I think your key is “she purrs and enjoys being petted “! Great work, I’m impressed.
Hope you can find her a forever home....or maybe she’s already there?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks trudy1, I have made some good progress. I have found the kitten school video's on youtube very helpful. I give her supervised visits with two of my cats. They are not that nice to her and swat her when she tries to play with them sometimes. Black kittens are the least adoptable, so I want to get her ready to go as soon as possible, while she is still young and cute.