Anxious new cat owner

caspianandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, everyone! My name is Caspian (they/them) and I just picked up my 7 month old black cat earlier today. He's a super sweet boy, he loves to be pet and being held and follows me around everywhere. I was petting him earlier and started to feel a bit overstimulated, so I left to finish some homework. As soon as I left the room he started crying, and now I'm starting to feel like I can't handle this or like I'm a bad cat parent for leaving him alone. He's stopped crying since, but now I'm too anxious to go back into the room and check on him. My chest is getting all tight and I'm starting to feel like I may have made a mistake/I can't handle this. Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any tips? I didn't know where else to go, so sorry if this isn't where this kind of post should be.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
8a38f83d4776379958a843f398b82cdb.jpg
Caspian and new kitty, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
71cVVYgO0IL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

You can start a thread to ask your questions here in cat-behavior.5 where more members frequent and those with experience in this area may be able to help you answer your questions.

In the meanwhile, do post photos of your little darling for us to see! :camera: :camera: :camera: and do tell us his name.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and to your new kitty! Yes, by all means, post in the Behavior forum so that you will get more replies! You are not alone in having anxiety about a new pet. Not at all. Especially if you are anxious by nature. But time, in almost all cases, will cure this. Have you named your new cat yet?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: And congrats on being a new cat parent. :bouquet:

It absolutely can be stressful at first, as it's a big change in your life, but the anxiety should lessen as time passes, and you realize you're doing a good job caring for your little furball.
Good luck. :dancingblackcat:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site :wave3:
Congratulations on your new kitty :)

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is nothing to be nervous or worried about. Looking after a new animal is a big responsibility, but its also an amazing experience. Your new buddy will enrich your life. You will rush home to see him and hate leaving him alone. He will learn to love and trust you.

Get him some toys for when you arent home. Ping pong balls are cheap and safe. (Especially in an empty bathtub) A feather wand or toy mouse on a string is often a favorite. You can even play some bird and mice videos from youtube if you are busy and want to entertain your little guy.

There is ALOT of great advice on this site and lots of people with lots of cat experience. Take advantage of that. Ask questions, post pictures and enjoy your new buddy and be grateful for your good luck.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its completely normal to feel anxiety, especially if this is your first kitty. You will both settle in eventually. If you worry about leaving kitty alone, you could always get a second one :)