Anxiety Disorder and/or Physical Issue

Sheeni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I've posted about my dear Zak before, but unfortunately I did not have the clear means to take action about this until now, so I am posting again.

Zak is my 8-year-old male who we've long known/suspected to have some sort of anxiety disorder. I rescued Zak from a garage when he was 3 days old after he was abandoned by his mother, and I think his anxieties are partially my fault because I was a child at this time and did not know to socialize him properly. Regardless, his anxious behavior is really taking a toll on our household. In my previous posts I believe I detailed how he chases his tail when he gets particularly anxious. For example, he gets anxious when the litter box is too full, and he will chase his tail aggressively (growling and biting and aggressively licking at it) until finally doing his business somewhere in my room. At first I thought this behavior was a medical issue, like maybe something hurting his tail (it might have ZERO relevance but I want to note that his tail feels very stiff and muscular to the touch compared to my other cat's floppy one), but it's confusing to me that he seems to do it out of stress. Maybe stress aggravates the condition?

I had considered Feline Hyperesthesia, but his skin doesn't "ripple." He twitches his back sometimes during this behavior but it doesn't look like the rippling I've heard described. And is this condition particularly aggravated by stress? He does the tail thing randomly every once in a while, but he only really goes AFTER it when he's really freaked out. I just wondered if he would do this more often if it wasn't just a stress thing. I've also had an (admittedly questionable) vet tell me that cats with this condition don't have "beautiful groomed coats" like him because they bite at their fur so much. I think I should also point out the very important fact that this behavior started when he was about 2 and had a urinary tract infection. He has been doing it every time he is stressed since that day, but it was completely new and unexpected at the time.

I figure a trip to the vet is in order, but I was wondering if there are things I should make sure they test for in particular besides the obvious Hyperesthesia. They have suggested Prozac in the past, but I couldn't even IMAGINE trying to shove a pill down this crazy's throat, although now I am wondering if Prozac or Buspar might be worth a try. He seriously keeps peeing all over my stuff when the litter box is even SLIGHTLY below his standards and I have no idea what those will be that day. He also just poops all over my floor indiscriminately, seemingly regardless of the litter box cleanliness, but this only happens about once a week or so. This situation is just very puzzling as it seems like he might have something physical AND mental going on at the same time. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. His behavior really affects everyone around him, but at the end of the day, I just want to make sure he's happy and that I'm doing everything I can to improve his quality of life.

Lexiivy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry about your situation and I really hope you get the answers you deserve! One thing I could think of to help with the possible anxiety is pheromone diffusers for cats. They have great reviews and benefits for cats. You can get them from chewy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sheeni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about your situation and I really hope you get the answers you deserve! One thing I could think of to help with the possible anxiety is pheromone diffusers for cats. They have great reviews and benefits for cats. You can get them from chewy!
Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately we've tried various diffusers and calming collars to no avail.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would start with the primary tests that are run, especially on a cat who is entering his senior years - full blood panel (CBC, Chemistry profile, thyroid) and urinalysis. If any bacteria/infection is found in the urine, a culture would be needed to identify the most effective antibiotics. Unfortunately, there are no tests to confirm/rule out hyperesthesia - and the symptoms can widely vary from cat to cat, so no one behavior, or their appearance, is definitive.

Stress more than likely does play a role in hyperesthesia, but it also factors into other conditions like cystitis. Cystitis of unknown origins can cause inflammation of the bladder without necessarily causing a UTI. Inflammation alone can cause inappropriate peeing, and can be irritating, even painful. Inappropriate pooping can also happen in this case.

It is possible his reaction could merely be his way of demonstrating irritation and/or pain. So, just another thing to discuss with the vet, in terms of looking for cystitis, as sometimes cats with this condition can improve with anti-inflammatory meds. I am not sure about the tenseness in his tail, could be from stress, but a good thing to discuss with the vet. Maybe he has some sort of nerve related issue that causes the stiffness?

I would also place another litter box in close proximity to his current one. Maybe if he has two to choose from it would make it a bit easier for you in terms of making sure neither is 'too full' to suit him.

There is a calming product called Bach Rescue Remedy, it is drops you rub into a cat's ear to help calm them. Even if you wouldn't want it for full-time use, it might be worth a try to use before the vet visit if that trip will cause him additional stress.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Zylkene is another calming agent. You can get it from Chewy. I don't know if it requires a prescription, but your vet should know.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – TheCatSite Articles

If you need to administer a pill, this article might help. Your cat may have FHS but I feel that something else like the cystitis is at play here as was mentioned. I would not just leave it at FHS but would want to rule out other conditions even if you do give calming meds. For what it is worth, I have a cat with FHS, dxed by the vet, who does not roll her back during episodes.

Sheeni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I would start with the primary tests that are run, especially on a cat who is entering his senior years - full blood panel (CBC, Chemistry profile, thyroid) and urinalysis. If any bacteria/infection is found in the urine, a culture would be needed to identify the most effective antibiotics. Unfortunately, there are no tests to confirm/rule out hyperesthesia - and the symptoms can widely vary from cat to cat, so no one behavior, or their appearance, is definitive.

Stress more than likely does play a role in hyperesthesia, but it also factors into other conditions like cystitis. Cystitis of unknown origins can cause inflammation of the bladder without necessarily causing a UTI. Inflammation alone can cause inappropriate peeing, and can be irritating, even painful. Inappropriate pooping can also happen in this case.

It is possible his reaction could merely be his way of demonstrating irritation and/or pain. So, just another thing to discuss with the vet, in terms of looking for cystitis, as sometimes cats with this condition can improve with anti-inflammatory meds. I am not sure about the tenseness in his tail, could be from stress, but a good thing to discuss with the vet. Maybe he has some sort of nerve related issue that causes the stiffness?

I would also place another litter box in close proximity to his current one. Maybe if he has two to choose from it would make it a bit easier for you in terms of making sure neither is 'too full' to suit him.

There is a calming product called Bach Rescue Remedy, it is drops you rub into a cat's ear to help calm them. Even if you wouldn't want it for full-time use, it might be worth a try to use before the vet visit if that trip will cause him additional stress.
Zylkene is another calming agent. You can get it from Chewy. I don't know if it requires a prescription, but your vet should know.
Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – TheCatSite Articles

If you need to administer a pill, this article might help. Your cat may have FHS but I feel that something else like the cystitis is at play here as was mentioned. I would not just leave it at FHS but would want to rule out other conditions even if you do give calming meds. For what it is worth, I have a cat with FHS, dxed by the vet, who does not roll her back during episodes.
Thank you all for replying. We took him to the vet after his first UTI was treated and he continued the behavior, but they couldn't find any urinary-related issues at that time. Regardless, I will ask them to check all of this again and be sure to ask specifically about cystitis. Nerve issues and arthritis around his tail and rear end as well. If they can rule out testable physical issues, I am wondering if the problem is just a combination of anxiety issues with FHS. I know that anxiety can cause bathroom apprehension and inappropriate excretions. Unfortunately, it is not really possible to have a second litter box, because all the cats' stuff is set up in my master bathroom and the litter box is sandwiched in like the only location where a litter box would fit. And I guess anxiety would make the FHS worse like you said, too. Poor Zak. He is having a bad day chasing his tail today and I can't help but wonder if he's been in pain all this time.

This is the second time recently that someone has mentioned that he is entering his "senior years," and it's totally not something I wanted to think about the kitten I raised but I'm having to come to terms with the fact that his health is more sensitive now. I'll be calling the vet tomorrow morning.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nowadays, cats - just like humans - are living longer and longer. They actually have another designation for cats that get past 14-15 yo - called geriatric! My Feeby at 16+ is considered geriatric! So, Zak has a long way to go! He's still a 'baby' if you consider his age compared to Feeby! But, now is a good time to keep up with regular check ups, the sooner an issue is found IF there is any, the easier it is to treat it.

Let us know how the vet visit goes!

Sheeni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you to everyone interested in Zak's well-being. I wanted to share an update that he went to the vet last week and was diagnosed with Feline Hyperesthesia. His urinary tests all came back clear, but the vet noted that his condition is probably worsened by his anxiety and his weight. He is going to start a new diet to help him get healthy again and he started his first dose of Fluoxetine last night to help with his anxiety. He took it a lot better than I anticipated, and it's the diet part that might actually give me trouble. Kind of hard to help a cat lose weight lol. He keeps throwing up his wet food so I'm working with the vet to figure that out now. Thank you again for all of your suggestions and kind words! Hopefully Zak is on his way to feeling better!