Anxiety/Cold Feet about adopting a cat...??

kamquat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.

First of all, this is my first time owning a cat and I've done extensive research into adopting/rescuing one, please bear with me. About 1.5 weeks ago, I adopted a (1 year old) cat named Kiwi, I fell in love with Kiwi the first moment I saw him. Before getting him, I got litter boxes, a bed, and toys for him. He was adapting really well after 2 days in my house, my parents and sisters also really love him. But then Kiwi got a red patch from scratching himself too much by the ears... and then I saw fleas... and then he was sneezing! I was so worried, I got him to the vet the next day. Turns out, the poor boyo got URI... I got meds and flea treatment for him... Kiwi was also so stressed on the way to the vet and during the visit, I felt SO bad. Even when I was administering his liquid med for him, I felt even more horrible... I gave him so much treats after haha (Poor boyo is still sniffling and sneezing and I just kept apologizing to him😭😭😭)

I was grooming him each day after the vet (and flea treatment: Revolution) to see if the fleas were still there. I found about 1-3 and I freaked out. My older sister told me she's just triggered by the thought of fleas in our house and she refuses to come because her place has carpet. That's one of my worries. Fleas.

Now I'm thinking about how I wasn't ready to adopt Kiwi. I feel like he deserves a much better owner and a better home... He's such a sweet boy and I feel like I was too gung-ho about this. If you guys could give me any insight on what to do (return him to shelter or keep him), please let me know. I've been crying literally every single day after the vet visit because I kept thinking how I was not prepared for this whole ordeal lol.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet could give him a flea bath . Whenever my cat gets a cold a pull out the bed that plugs in and warms up. Also I use a humidifier for her and me. Also, you could stay some where and have your house fogged after be has a flea bath and your sure they're gone.I would not return him to the shelter. Someone else could go through the same thing or not treated well at the shelter for uri

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The treatment he was given is very effective but can take a few days to kill all the fleas. And with the short time you have had him it is unlikely that the fleas have spread to your home. There are home treatments if you want to be extra certain. And so long as your boy stays indoors he will not likely have fleas in the future. If he does go outdoors the periodic flea treatment will keep him and your home flea free.

Please give yourself some time. Clearly you are a caring owner and your cat sounds happy to be in your home. Both you and he will start feeling better very soon.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, welcome to TCS! :wave3: Second, thank you for adopting. It's quite common for cats from a shelter to have a URI so don't be alarmed. Our last cat had a serious URI but with the proper treatment and meds. she recovered and was very healthy.

I thought these two threads about how to get rid of fleas might be helpful for you:
Fleas! What is working for you now?
What’s The Best Effective Flea Treatment?

You're doing a great job, it takes a little time and patience so don't feel defeated. You came to the right site for guidance and support. Please feel free to ask questions and we will be more than glad to help. :alright:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anxiety hits us all sometimes. It’s normal. This is all very new to you so please give yourself a break. It’s going to be okay. Fleas can be eliminated and your vet already gave you an appropriate flea prevention. There are lots of different flea meds so that cats and humans don’t have to deal with that. As a cat you have rescued from a shelter, he must be completely devoted to you. You saved his life. As I read your post I could see the love you are already showing this poor abandoned kitty. You are the first ray of light in his life and he should blossom under your kind heart. Having stress and a URI as a result of leaving the shelter is common. The kitty had no way of knowing he was finally going somewhere wonderful. A home, security, love, care and a family at last! Give him a little time to understand that all this won’t be ripped away again and I think you will enter the closest and most precious of relationships you ever imagined. I hope you keep him close to your heart so you can feel the kind of love this cat can offer. There is no better reward. As someone who has rescued cats that I never dreamed would become my best friends, I can tell you, I wouldn’t trade one moment with them now. You have done a great thing and I hope your anxiety diminishes so you can find the joy in this that you deserve.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kamquat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello to everyone who responded!!!

Thank you so much for giving me your welcoming insights and tips. I think I was just anxious over the fleas!!! Ugh, the worst haha. I gave him a flea bath today and he was noooot having it but I gave him so much treats afterwards. I definitely will look into getting a humidifier for Kiwi (not a bad idea for me too since I have seasonal allergies 😳). Thank you all so much and I hope to talk to you again (very very) soon!! ❤ I leave you with a photo of Kiwi just chillin'!

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww Kiwi! You are beautiful and have the most precious tummy!! BTW , showing you the tummy is a sign of being relaxed and trusting of you. :yess: You have earned a kitty snuggle! Besides one from Kiwi.... everyone here wants you to have another on us! Lol:catrub::lovecat2: I love the name too! I hope you do keep us posted. We love chatting with you and Kiwi. The photos are a great bonus. Thanks! The tummy photo made me laugh. Super adorable!

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww how gorgeous is he! My cat Waffles has that coloring with more white.
I haven't had a cat with fleas but had a little pug dog who had fleas, and yes treatable. And repeat treatment is so doable.
You sound so caring and wonderful for Kiwi! Don't give up. You'll have the best life with him and he with you.
His expression in the second picture is so sweet.
More pictures please? :redheartpump:

kamquat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!!! Apologies for the late reply... So during the past 1.5 weeks, I gave Kiwi a flea bath and didn't see any fleas!!! ... That is until today I saw 1 flea and I was just "?!?! 😨😨😨" (I think it's because I brought the flea home after going into a grassy area!! Argggg!!) His Revolution med is coming up next week so I'm hoping it will continue to work haha. Here are some more photos of the silly boy!!

kiwi.png

kamquat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh P.S!! Kiwi also got so much better from the URI ☺☺☺ Still the occasional sneezing but I think it's because our house is just a bit dusty in some areas but he doesn't sniffle/sneeze like 50000 times in a row anymore! 🎉🎉🎉

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am late to the party but I wanted to tell you that I think you are doing a fantastic job with your new feline friend, Kiwi. Rarely have I read of a more devoted parent than you are with that beautiful cat. He hit the jackpot when he met you.

Fleas are a persistent nuance but you can beat them. Revolution kills everything including ear mites. Just don't overdo it with giving him both topical treatments and flea baths. I am also going to get you the name of a flea spray that my vet recommended to my mother years ago. At that time we had several cats and our whole house became infested. We bomb the place and also used that wonderful spray- never saw another flea.