Antisocial Behavior In 2 Year Old. Help??

PoohTheTeacupPersian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have had my baby Pooh since she was 8 weeks old. She is now just over 2 years old. She's a teacup Persian and has been spayed. She's an indoor cat but loves to watch out windows, so I'd love to get her to the point of having her leash trained enough to even just walk around the yard. I have a couple questions.
She has never been very "social". She tends to hide or just lay in her cat tree most of the day and always hides when someone outside of my mom and I are home. She also is very picky about when she wants attention, which I'm sure is normal, but I want to give my kitty love for more than 5 minutes a day.
She doesn't really play much which I think is pretty odd. I've tried many different toys and catnip hasn't ever really peaked her interest for more than 5 minutes and I'm worried that she's not getting enough stimulation to keep her mind busy.
She seems happy, but I don't feel like I'm doing enough as her mom to make her as happy as I can because she is literally never interested in being around people or playing with toys.
I'd really just love for her to be more relaxed around people and play more to keep her healthy.
She is at a healthy weight right now (about 5 lbs) according to our vet, but with free-feeding and no play I'm worried she's going to being to gain weight.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!!!
Picture included because when she does come out of hiding, she's just the most beautiful thing ever.
FB_IMG_1510491512252.jpg

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Persians are known as one of the less active breeds, so even though it is unusual for a 1 1/2 year old cat to not like to play a bit more, it is likely nothing to worry about and likely nothing you can alter. Just try different types of toys, all the popular ones (ping pong ball, crumpled paper ball, laser pointer, and either Da Bird, Cat Dancer or similar have always been my go tos), and see what she likes best. Side issue: you are going to have to be careful adding a new kitten at any point, because differences in activity levels are often a big problem and your cat seems to have the activity level of an older cat.

As far as training a cat to like being petted, you can't do so directly, but you can let the cat train you. The way it works is that you find the situations when the cat is willing to be petted, like when tired, or on a certain dresser. And you respect that. You can use treats or cues to encourage them to go to their favorite spot, and you can use treats to encourage new spots, but patience and respect are the keys. You cannot hold the cat on your lap while she squirms and imagine "she will calm down and realize this is nice" -- it does not work that way. This is very hard to resist for many people, but it is *very* counter-productive. Instead, you let the kitty be the boss, and over time, the limited times and places will expand. Instead of one particular piece of furniture it will, hopefully and eventually, become all of them. Not a guaranty, but I've used this method with a bunch of rescued cats and it has always worked for me. I've never had a long haired cat, but I understand they often like (and require?) brushing so you could try that as well, but cautiously, using the same general method.

Random example of expansion of spots with patience: my current 7-8 year old was rescued as a 3 year old stray and started fussy with when and where. For whatever reason, she decided she was willing to crawl on our chests while on the bed, so we encouraged and welcomed it, and offered it even at non-bedtimes. Now it doesn't have to be on the bed, lying down on the couch works, and if I stretch on the floor to go running, she comes running.

Last edited:

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree, it may just be genetics. There is a Persian on another site that is an older kitten and she just seems to relax most of the day.
I also second about wand toys being popular with most cats. My guy also likes toy mice that make a rattle sound and I shake them before throwing.