Antibiotics

tammy3864

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello my cat just had his teeth removed due to stomatitis. He is on zydaclin and now has very loose stools. Should I bother the vet again? Or is this something normal for this medication. Also he’s been on 0.5 ml of prednisolone for two years and now their telling me to give it one more week every other day which is normal schedule and then just quit! I though I had to taper him off this stuff?! Any advise!!!? PLEASE

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cant advise you on the pred but antibiotics can cause diarrhoea. Try giving him s boulardii, it's a pre and probiotic, half a capsule mixed into wet food twice a day and you should see a difference in a couple of days.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would call the vet back about the Prednisolone and tell them you are not comfortable just stopping it without some sort of weaning schedule. Ideally, they will work with you and recommend an approach that would help to quell your concerns.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
And if the diarrhea doesn't go away with the S. Boulardi, definitely let your Vet know and see if they will give a different one. I've done that before and our Vet just said to stop the antibiotic. Yours may too depending on how many teeth were pulled, how long your cat was able to take the antibiotics, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tammy3864

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mrsgreenjeens I remember you gave me advice about my Paige. Your a great lady!

tammy3864

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried for two days to talk to a doctor! They always say we‘ll have them call you and no one does. Now it’s 4:40 pm and still no phone call. They don’t make appointments their it’s walk in and they make you wait in your car for five hours in 90 degrees with your pet they say they will call you when your fifth to be seen then you can come into the building! I will probably end up going there tomorrow by myself and paying 60$ to talk to the vet.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I will probably end up going there tomorrow by myself and paying 60$ to talk to the vet.
You must have read my mind, I would also go down there in person if it's been two days and they still haven't returned your call. However, in no way should you have to pay to talk to your vet. Explain that they haven't returned your call(s) and this is a serious issue for your cat. Please keep us posted on your progress, good luck. :crossfingers:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with neely neely , I wouldn't expect to pay. Point out that you have had to go there because they haven't returned your call. Is there another veterinary practice you could change to.

tammy3864

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with neely neely , I wouldn't expect to pay. Point out that you have had to go there because they haven't returned your call. Is there another veterinary practice you could change to.
I am going to. The last one I had retired but the one before that was excellent expensive but they do everything in house so it’s convenient but they all were awesome. I’m going there!

tammy3864

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And if the diarrhea doesn't go away with the S. Boulardi, definitely let your Vet know and see if they will give a different one. I've done that before and our Vet just said to stop the antibiotic. Yours may too depending on how many teeth were pulled, how long your cat was able to take the antibiotics, etc.
You have helped me so much over the years. I have a few questions, they also told me to give him the prednisolone he’s been on for two years for one more week then just stop! I don’t agree I believe that’s wrong it’s 0.5 ml every other day but everything I read say wean them! Now I have a new problem my girl cat I’ve had since Grayson has been 1 and she a kitten is hissing in his face now and wants nothing to do with him since I brought him home. What can I do ? He’s been to the vet before and even stayed 3 days and came back it was fine. Is it because his mouth smells different and doesn’t stink now? Or what is your opinion? Please!

tammy3864

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You have helped me so much over the years. I have a few questions, they also told me to give him the prednisolone he’s been on for two years for one more week then just stop! I don’t agree I believe that’s wrong it’s 0.5 ml every other day but everything I read say wean them! Now I have a new problem my girl cat I’ve had since Grayson has been 1 and she a kitten is hissing in his face now and wants nothing to do with him since I brought him home. What can I do ? He’s been to the vet before and even stayed 3 days and came back it was fine. Is it because his mouth smells different and doesn’t stink now? Or what is your opinion? Please!
Also my Paige I had was so hard to get to eat wet food but I got her, this boy he won’t eat any chicken tuna people food at all so he thinks wet food isn’t food I guess any suggestions on that? He will lick the gravy off but spit out the pieces of food like he’s not suppose to eat that!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I guess any suggestions on that? He will lick the gravy off but spit out the pieces of food like he’s not suppose to eat that!
It's not unusual for them to lick the gravy and reject or not eat very much of the wet food. My guy did it too until I finally found something he liked, i.e. trial and error. Not sure what else you've tried but can you give him a pate wet food which does not have pieces?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also my Paige I had was so hard to get to eat wet food but I got her, this boy he won’t eat any chicken tuna people food at all so he thinks wet food isn’t food I guess any suggestions on that? He will lick the gravy off but spit out the pieces of food like he’s not suppose to eat that!
Many cats don't understand that wet food is actually food. As noted above, it's really just a matter of finding the "right" food that they take liking to. You will need to experiment with different foods...different proteins like chicken, turkey, beef, etc. AND different textures like pate, shreds, minces. And be aware that a chicken pate by Fancy Feast can be totally different than a chicken pate by Natural Balance, for example. So you may need to try many different brands as well. It's a process when you have picky eaters.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This doesn't seem normal to stop cold turkey without weaning him off. Is this Vet aware that this is his regular regimen of the pred? If not, if you are ever able to speak to them, you need to remind them of that. WHY was he on it and why do they want to stop it?

Also, cats normally recognize each other by smell. Once a cat has been to the Vet, they normally don't smell the same for a few days, so often the other cats in the home think they are a new (hostile) cat and will hiss, growl and even attack them. That's what happens in my household anyway. To try to eleviate that, I brush them using the same brush without cleaning out the fur to transfer their scents. I pay particular attention to brushing them around their cheeks where they have alot of scent glands. If that doesn't work, you can dab them with a little bit of real vanilla around the base of their tails so they all smell like vanilla :wink: