Antibiotics Question

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has been on antibiotics since last Friday, getting one dose at 11 am and one at 11 pm. Tomorrow morning I’m picking up a refill for her at 8 am, but I’ll be at work from 9-5.

My question is, should I give her a dose at 8:30 am tomorrow before I go to work, even though she got a dose tonight at 11 (meaning there will be 9 hours between doses instead of 12) or would it be better to skip tomorrow’s morning dose and start the routine at 6 pm tomorrow?

Sorry if this is confusing, just trying to get an idea on what to do. I’ll ask the vet tomorrow just to be sure, but I’m a worrier. :hmmm:

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet just put Leo on Metronidazole twice a day for a week and she said that it wasn't critical for the doses to be exactly twelve hours apart, just spaced out, morning and evening. I don't know what antibiotic yours is on, but that's what she said about Metro.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet just put Leo on Metronidazole twice a day for a week and she said that it wasn't critical for the doses to be exactly twelve hours apart, just spaced out, morning and evening. I don't know what antibiotic yours is on, but that's what she said about Metro.
Thanks for replying. Minnie’s on Clavamox and I figured it wouldn’t be a huge deal if the timing isn’t perfectly spaced out. I just don’t want to do any harm by giving her the doses too close together. But I’ll definitely check with our vet.

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has been on antibiotics since last Friday, getting one dose at 11 am and one at 11 pm. Tomorrow morning I’m picking up a refill for her at 8 am, but I’ll be at work from 9-5.

My question is, should I give her a dose at 8:30 am tomorrow before I go to work, even though she got a dose tonight at 11 (meaning there will be 9 hours between doses instead of 12) or would it be better to skip tomorrow’s morning dose and start the routine at 6 pm tomorrow?

Sorry if this is confusing, just trying to get an idea on what to do. I’ll ask the vet tomorrow just to be sure, but I’m a worrier. :hmmm:
From my understanding, antibiotics like Clavamox work best when spaced out every 12 hours so that there is a continuous supply of the medication in their system.
That being said, it’s much better to give it earlier than later so the antibiotics don’t have a gap longer than 12 hours inbetween doses. I’d give the dose before I left for work if it were my cat. But then I’d also adjust the night dose and give it at 8pm that night instead of waiting till 11 pm and keep doses consistent from there.
However, I’d also double check with the vet as this is also a great question for your vet to answer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From my understanding, antibiotics like Clavamox work best when spaced out every 12 hours so that there is a continuous supply of the medication in their system.
That being said, it’s much better to give it earlier than later so the antibiotics don’t have a gap longer than 12 hours inbetween doses. I’d give the dose before I left for work if it were my cat. But then I’d also adjust the night dose and give it at 8pm that night instead of waiting till 11 pm and keep doses consistent from there.
However, I’d also double check with the vet as this is also a great question for your vet to answer.
We asked one of the people who works at our vet and she said to give the dose earlier rather than miss a dose, which is what we did. We gave it at 8:30 and we’ll be adjusting her nighttime doses for the rest of the week. Thanks for the advice. :)