Antibiotics Maybe Made Him Sick?

Sam444

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sort of a long story here, but my 14 year old cat Buster had his teeth cleaned about a week and a half ago, and had 5 Of them pulled for various reasons. At his checkup 2 weeks before that, the vet said his blood work and everything came back normal, kidneys, thyroid, all that perfectly fine. After the surgery he was put on antibiotics and a pain med to take every 12 hours. After about a week of taking them, he just seemed very different. Like won’t get off the couch or bed, diarrhea, sleeps a lot, etc. I know these are common side effects of the antibiotic but it was so bad we stopped giving them to him. It’s been almost a week and he seems to be on the decline. Still sleeps a lot, constantly lounging, and now if you bring him a bowl of water he’ll drink it like it’s the first time he’s had water in days. His litter box still has urine and stool (no more diahrea) but it seems like he’s peeing in large volumes, and today he threw up an alarming sized puddle of clear fluid, possibly from drinking too much water too fast. He’s also lost weight recently, even before the surgery. He started out overweight at about 17 before his first visit, then at his 1st appointment he was 15, and when I took him home after he was just a little less than when i brought him in. He hasn’t been weighed since but I have a very strong feeling he may have lost another pound. I’m concerned about kidney disease or diabetes, but is it possible for them to be onset so quick? He was fine less than a month ago. It’s just since this surgery and meds he’s been scaring me, I love this cat so much. Please help!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear that Buster isn’t feeling well. I would think that allergic and adverse reactions to medications would be faster onset than a week, so that’s why I’m thinking that this could be something else, but I could be wrong. It would be best if you could take him back to the vet to be checked out.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Sam444 and welcome to the forum !

What is the name...and the strength...of both the antibiotic and the 'pain med' ?

Your description of the weight loss disturbs me....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sam444

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Sam444 and welcome to the forum !

What is the name...and the strength...of both the antibiotic and the 'pain med' ?

Your description of the weight loss disturbs me....
The pain med is buprenex, prescribed 0.4 ML, but I ended up giving him half doses because that seemed like an insane amount and he definitely didn’t like it. Just the half dose made him somewhat sedated, I can’t imagine the full 0.4 ML. I slowly weened him off of it, dropping down to 0.1 mL every 16-20 hours.
The antibiotic was Clindamycin, 2 ML every 12 hours. They gave us 50 mg to use up but as I mentioned we didn’t use all of it. In fact the day after we stopped giving it to him, he perked up a little.