Another Update On Kiki The Feral Cat

sainthogan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

She has become much more comfortable with me. She frequently sleeps in the neighbor's apartment with his cats. She "demands" to be fed at his house. She comes over to my house quite often and demands petting. She still doesn't want to be permanantly indoors. Sudden moves and noises scare her, and though friendly, she is still very, very particular about who she will let pet her. In case the video doesn't work, that is her letting me pet her belly. Sometimes she demands that I pet her belly. My neighbor and I are the only ones that can.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm SSSSSOOOOOO happy Kiki's doing SO well! Sounds (and looks) like she's become quite attached to you (as, obviously, you have her!). Her letting you - and your neighbor - pet her belly is a MAJOR show of trust in you. That's where, in general, cats (and most species) feel the most vulnerable, so if she's offering it up to you for pets - - - she truly trusts you! Sudden noises, etc. may always scare her - - whether she remains an indoor/outdoor (hopefully someday you (or your neighbor!) will be able to bring her inside fully, where she'll live a much longer, safer life.

But I do also understand (as someone who takes care of indoor sweeties AND outdoor ferals that we TNRd several years ago) that sometimes bringing in a feral/semi-feral etc. isn't always easy or even possible sometimes. (although if you & Kiki ever change your collective minds about bringing her in permanently - - there are TONS of people on this site - and particularly this forum - - who have lots of experience and can walk you through every possible step to make it easier on both of you!

And know she truly may always retain that bit of her feral side - - the quick startle, etc. Whenever my husband gets sad and says "why does Flick (one of our TNR ferals we brought inside) act so terrified - like she hates me - when I (fill in the blank - - -move a grocery bag suddenly, set a pot down too quickly, etc)??" I always remind him - - it's those exact same feral behaviors that kept her alive for 2 years on her own (even with Cerebellar Hypoplasia even!). Her stronger-than-a-raised-from-moment-1-indoors reactions to things - - -that's why she was able to avoid being roadkill or a coyote snack! So don't view the periodic "startles" - - -it's exactly that part of her that has helped keep her around so that she CAN love you (and vice versa!)!!!!

(she is already spayed - correct? couldn't remember for sure)

Glad she continues doing so well!!!!!! Keep us posted - - happy stories are always nice to hear :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a good baby. My former ferals would take my hand off if I rubbed their belly. Yeah, mine didn't want to come inside for good either, but they are okay with it now. They've got 9 window seats in the house, and a couple in the garage to keep them busy looking at birds and other critters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sainthogan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm SSSSSOOOOOO happy Kiki's doing SO well! Sounds (and looks) like she's become quite attached to you (as, obviously, you have her!). Her letting you - and your neighbor - pet her belly is a MAJOR show of trust in you. That's where, in general, cats (and most species) feel the most vulnerable, so if she's offering it up to you for pets - - - she truly trusts you! Sudden noises, etc. may always scare her - - whether she remains an indoor/outdoor (hopefully someday you (or your neighbor!) will be able to bring her inside fully, where she'll live a much longer, safer life.

But I do also understand (as someone who takes care of indoor sweeties AND outdoor ferals that we TNRd several years ago) that sometimes bringing in a feral/semi-feral etc. isn't always easy or even possible sometimes. (although if you & Kiki ever change your collective minds about bringing her in permanently - - there are TONS of people on this site - and particularly this forum - - who have lots of experience and can walk you through every possible step to make it easier on both of you!

And know she truly may always retain that bit of her feral side - - the quick startle, etc. Whenever my husband gets sad and says "why does Flick (one of our TNR ferals we brought inside) act so terrified - like she hates me - when I (fill in the blank - - -move a grocery bag suddenly, set a pot down too quickly, etc)??" I always remind him - - it's those exact same feral behaviors that kept her alive for 2 years on her own (even with Cerebellar Hypoplasia even!). Her stronger-than-a-raised-from-moment-1-indoors reactions to things - - -that's why she was able to avoid being roadkill or a coyote snack! So don't view the periodic "startles" - - -it's exactly that part of her that has helped keep her around so that she CAN love you (and vice versa!)!!!!

(she is already spayed - correct? couldn't remember for sure)

Glad she continues doing so well!!!!!! Keep us posted - - happy stories are always nice to hear :)

Yes, she has been spayed. Not sure how long ago, but she came to us with the nick in her ear indicating that she had been. She is so darling. She will sit on my neighbor's doormat waiting for him to come home. She doesn't wander very far from here anymore either. If you call her name, she will almost always come running.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sainthogan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What a good baby. My former ferals would take my hand off if I rubbed their belly. Yeah, mine didn't want to come inside for good either, but they are okay with it now. They've got 9 window seats in the house, and a couple in the garage to keep them busy looking at birds and other critters.
She has actually grabbed my hand and pulled it toward her on more than one occassion, she is so gentle when she does that too. Often she will grab it and lick it. She is so sweet.