Another Bathroom Renovation

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our current bathroom is very large, with a walk-in shower and a jacuzzi that we never use, and it is pink, pink, pink - floor tiles, wall tiles, jacuzzi. It once was even more pink, but over the years we replaced toilets and vanities with white fixtures, vanity tops are speckled granite which harmonizes with the three color sponge painting I did on the walls above the jacuzzi. Now it is time to redo the shower which has a tight crack in the floor tiles which were laid so poorly that after showering there are puddles that have to be squeegeed to the drain, and they are regular floor tiles, so are slippery. And the jacuzzi.

The floor of the room itself will continue to have pink tiles, and there will be some pink wall tiles remaining also.

Contractor did some bathroom work for a friend of ours, and rather than tiles their shower was done with cultured marble slabs and a solid / one piece floor pan. He is supposed to show us a box of color samples. While they can manufacture swirly patterned cultured marble slabs I'm leaning toward a light brown / tan solid.

This will perhaps happen in December.

Questions? Comments? Do you want pictures?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harkening and obedience! I took camera, trotted upstairs (well, as well as I can trot with my knee), took pictures, edited the three I think are best. And here you are. With comments.

Bathroom is far too large to cover floor with bathmats. It would require carpeting. Which I refuse to do. In my madder moments I suggest that a couple of life size, semi-nude Greek statures would be appropriate and elegant.

Master Bath-Before_2022-09_vanity on outside wall.jpg

First image is of my vanity on outside wall. Closet on left. No changes here.

Master Bath-Before_2022-09_shower.jpg

Second image is of walk in / walk through shower looking towards my vanity. The tiles on the ceiling of the shower will remain. Grab bars (four) will be installed in shower. Doors will be reused.

Master Bath-Before_2022-09_jacuzzi.jpg

Third image is of jacuzzi in corner. My vanity is along wall to left of tub, further left than triple windows. Wall tiles will remain, steps and deck around tub will be cultured marble slabs.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In my madder moments I suggest that a couple of life size, semi-nude Greek statures would be appropriate and elegant.
Lol, I agree 👍 I really like what you-all have done so far, it looks nice 🙂 --one thing about it, the floor tile doesn't look quite as pink as I envisioned so that's helpful in that regard and I think your idea of light brown-ish would work well.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Beautiful roomy bathroom! When I redid my master bath a few years ago I went with solid surface shower walls and floor . Not marble, but a corian like material called Onyx. I most definitely have not regretted that because cleaning is so amazingly easy. Every few weeks I squeegee down the walls after a shower and do a quick wipe of the floor and I am done.

And also they make the shower pan with a texture to the bottom so that it isn’t slippery when wet or soapy.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You all are very quick to reply! Thank you.

Furballsmom Furballsmom the pink is really more pink than it looks in my pictures.

susanm9006 susanm9006 The cultured marble material we are considering is probably similar to the Corian you used. Marble itself is slippery unless given a honed surface and is also easily damaged with certain cleaning products, soap, shampoo etc - anything with an acid. And yes, thank you for mentioning it - our contractor has already suggested a safer texture for shower pan. He pointed out that the current tiles are regular floor tiles and too slippery to be safe.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One other thing to consider. I also went with the option to have a low profile lip on my shower pan. They also sell a ramp piece that can be added on at a later point so that you can easily wheel a walker or chair into the shower if you ever need it.