Anisocoria after blood sample vet visit

nourhany1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!
I'm hoping to get some insights and if anyone had any similar experiences.

I was scheduling a neuter surgery and dental cleaning/extraction for my 8.5 year old cat yuki.
So, I took him to the vet to get his blood work done yesterday. He was very stressed and angsty even after getting some calming medication so the vet opted for mild sedation so he can get the blood sample.

Except for feeling a little tired from yesterday, He has been otherwise normal.

But today after he sat in the sun a little I noticed one pupil is now less dilated than the other. No redness in the eye or cloudiness, that one eye is just a little teary.
I asked the vet and he told me not to worry about it, but I'm still kind of worried since he's scheduled for his surgeries this thursday and I feel bad for putting him through this.

Did this happen to anyone else before? And if it did how long did it take to go back to normal?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I searched this site for previous threads and found very little that would be of use to you. Have you searched the internet for information about it? I found this article (see link below) that discusses possible causes. I did not see anything related to sedation, but perhaps his eye was injured somehow during the sedation and blood drawing process. I personally would not have him go through surgery if the eye is not back to normal by then and would tell the vet you want the matter to be pursued. Did they give you any explanation as to why it is nothing to worry about?

It may be nothing, but you can never be too careful/cautious with a cat's eyes, even more so with an older one.
Anisocoria in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital (vcahospitals.com)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nourhany1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I searched this site for previous threads and found very little that would be of use to you. Have you searched the internet for information about it? I found this article (see link below) that discusses possible causes. I did not see anything related to sedation, but perhaps his eye was injured somehow during the sedation and blood drawing process. I personally would not have him go through surgery if the eye is not back to normal by then and would tell the vet you want the matter to be pursued. Did they give you any explanation as to why it is nothing to worry about?

It may be nothing, but you can never be too careful/cautious with a cat's eyes, even more so with an older one.
Anisocoria in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital (vcahospitals.com)
Thank you! Yes I've tried searching the internet but I couldn't find much about my specific situation, I remember stumbling about someone's cat having this after his neuter surgery in a reddit or quora comment forum but I can't seem to find it again.

Not sure if he got injured during the process but it could be possible, he was all over the place.

The vet only told me it could be because of the sun with the sedative still not completely out of his system.
If it doesn't go back to normal by the morning I'll contact the vet again

nourhany1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Incase someone encounters the same thing I'll try to update.
So small update: Contacted the vet again today and he told me it's most likely his nerves because of the amount of stress he was feeling and it should go back to normal in a few days, and I should just be careful with exposure to strong lighting till then.
I don't want to put him under more stress, So if it doesnt get better by the day of the surgery I'll get him checked and most probably delay the surgery till I know for sure what's up.

He is otherwise all good

nourhany1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update:
His eyes improved a lot by wednesday thankfully, just a small difference left. Confirmed with the vet this wouldn't cause any issues if we proceed with the surgery and he's recovering well now.
Apart from his hatred for the cone he's already back to his usual energy levels🙌🏼 there is still a small difference between his pupils but it's more unnoticeable now.