Anesthesia for 15 year old Cat

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our sweet Greta is about 15 and the vet says she needs dental work. Greta has borderline kidney values and is on a kidney diet and given subq fluids twice a week. We also know she has some cognitive issues. She has had some bronchitis and was treated with antibiotics and is ok there. The vet did see something on her liver radiology which she thought might be cancer but she would need an MRI to be sure and again, anesthesia for an MRI. If it is/was cancer, surgery may not be helpful . Our vet has suggested dental cleaning but has told us it is risky. She is a wonderful vet and we've always trusted her. Have been reading things about senior cats under anesthesia and some it it scares me to death!!!!!!!!! But I don't want to just sit by and know her teeth are getting worse and let her get sick. After reading a lot online it sounds like it's best to get it done but it's so scary. I hate to ask this, but can they just lose them right on the table? It's a terrible quandary.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Talk to your vet about your concerns - I've read members who have asthmatic cats and other issues and from what I understand, their vet is able to take those things into account when setting up the anesthesia.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is always a risk, even with a very healthy cat, to go under anesthesia. But the risk is very low, and as long as the Vet is well aware of the risks and takes every precaution (monitoring BP, heartrate, etc.) things should go ok.

It's always a quandry, but you need to think of quality of life too. If her teeth are causing her problems now, they will be even worse in the future, and going under anesthesia when her kidneys get worse will be even riskier. Plus bad teeth can cause heart problems down the line. Talk frankly with your Vet in order to make a very informed decision on this. Ask what they would do if Greta were their cat, then make your decision when you have all the facts. :alright: Let us know how it goes.

Mrsty1203

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely discuss your concerns with your vet. It’s important they understand you and your concerns. I had my cat undergo massive dental work at 15 and again at 16 years old. She had reabsorption issues which are painful and had all her molars removed along with a broken canine tooth. At the time, she did not yet have kidney or thyroid issues which she developed later in life (she made it to 19 1/2). But, my bigger concern is Convenia. I had another elder cat who received this antibiotic and had minor seizures afterwards, which eventually went away. I understood with this cat it was so important to have the antibiotics after the teeth removal and I allowed it, yet she had head twitching the rest of her life - I am completely convinced it was the Convenia. They had both had Convenia when they were younger with no side affects. I don’t trust this antibiotic in elder cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

homoki2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is always a risk, even with a very healthy cat, to go under anesthesia. But the risk is very low, and as long as the Vet is well aware of the risks and takes every precaution (monitoring BP, heartrate, etc.) things should go ok.

It's always a quandry, but you need to think of quality of life too. If her teeth are causing her problems now, they will be even worse in the future, and going under anesthesia when her kidneys get worse will be even riskier. Plus bad teeth can cause heart problems down the line. Talk frankly with your Vet in order to make a very informed decision on this. Ask what they would do if Greta were their cat, then make your decision when you have all the facts. :alright: Let us know how it goes.
Thank you so much for your information. I had a lengthy and good discussion with our vet. She has definite concerns about administering anesthesia for Greta given Greta's health, some pulmonary issues, some liver issue and the borderline kidney issues. She said she would do it if we chose to and she and her attendants would be right there to stop things if it looked bad. She, of course, wouldn't make the decision for us, but throughout the conversation I could tell that it concerned her a lot. She has raised a lot of cats and has had lots of experience with this and if it were her cat she would not do it. So for the moment I'm going to hold off. But it's still in the back of my mind every day and I may change my feelings in the near future.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, if my Vet told me they wouldn't do it if it were their cat, I'd listen to that too . Let's hope Greta's teeth aren't causing her any pain, because it seems you're between a rock and a hard place :alright: