Anemia

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by elayman

Even if you take them before eating something (veggie snack or a meal), like 30 min or so to reduce the risk of stomach irritation?

I do that on Ferrous Sulfate three times a day, once with a Vit C pill, drink tons of green tea, chicken at lunch and dinner and still manage to pull out a hemoglobin count of 13.6

The normal value for a RBC is between 4-6 if I remember correctly...But if your case is that severe, dietary changes might be trying iron supplements around a snack during the morning on nuts and raisins with some orange juice. Eat a normal evening meal with salad vegetables and more OJ but add some herbs and spices if you can because thyme and curry powder are also top iron rich ingredients.

I hope you feel better soon, and know that you WILL find all the answers out in due time !!! Anemia is horrible. I feel like being off supplements for more than two weeks it is ruining my life. ...
Yes, I did take the pill with food, but I still had horrible stomach pains and faintness.

As I am a diabetic, I have to be careful with the OJ. I do have a tiny glass when I eat my iron-rich cereal (for those who wonder what the OJ is about, Vitamin C, when taken/eaten with iron-rich foods, helps iron absorption). Raisins are out for me, too--apart from the fact I hate them, they're high in sugar/carbs. NEVER liked them!

When I was diagnosed, the doctor said my anemia was so severe, it was the equivalent of walking around, missing a pint of blood every day.

Interesting sidebar: it is thought that the ancient Egyptians more often than not may have been anemic. Certain parasites that could cause blood loss were apparently very common then, and found in mummies of all social strata. So, elayman and Bryan, we can comfort ourselves with having something in common with the ancient Egyptians--how cool is that?
Oh, well, I tried to cheer us all up!

Seriously, anemia stinks. It can cause a lack of concentration, and I work with very-detail-oriented work on a pc all day. Sometimes it's hard to concentrate, especially when I feel worn down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The doctor's office called me today about my latest blood test results. He wants me to start taking an iron supplement twice a day. Would these be ok?
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wal...847858-product

Would a liquid product be better than a pill?

I also have to get a colonoscopy in a few weeks and do some other tests related to my colitis.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

The doctor's office called me today about my latest blood test results. He wants me to start taking an iron supplement twice a day. Would these be ok?
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wal...847858-product
A standard daily dosage 65 mg of elemental iron, equivalent to 325 mg should be fine under any manufacturer.

Maybe three a day is too much of a good thing and is what is elevating my b-12 levels slightly above normal ?
. All the other bloodwork is perfectly normal, though, or I would be concerned.

Good luck with the colon results !