And This Is Why Fireworks Should Not Be In The Public's Hands

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Because some people can be idiots.

Last night, the idiots were out in full force. We were at a community fireworks display with tons of people around. Well, the idiots decided that it would be ever-so-much-fun to shoot off their fireworks, too. They live right by the grassy area where people congregate to watch the community fireworks. They had some pretty big stuff. And people got burned. A little girl got her hands burned; her ear was burned. A man's hair was almost set on fire. From the stuff coming down to the ground. Somebody got the police and shut them down, much to their dismay.

For years, in PA, the bigger stuff was illegal; we were essentially allowed sparklers. Of course, that didn't stop people from bringing them in from out of state. We did the same thing. The legislature recently allowed the bigger stuff to be sold.

But you don't set off the big stuff in a crowd! There could have been some serious burns.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Children and teenagers, heck, probably adults too in our area do this nonsense all the time. They shoot it at each other instead of up in the air. :fuming:

My mom and I were almost hit in broad daylight once. And those things are loud. They do not care. They think it's fun. Then when their stupid fun is done, they throw the firework trash all over the ground. The streets and sidewalks are littered with the wrapper or whatever the fireworks come in. It's so annoying. :angrywoman:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My dad used to rig up (illegal) fireworks on tomato cages so they would in theory shoot up into the sky to explode. More often than not, the firework would just topple off the tomato cage and rocket across the ground before exploding:shocked: I've nearly been hit by one, too :shocked: I still remember the feel of the firework whizzing past my legs and the hot air.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been hit by bottle rockets. They could probably put an eye out if they hit the right place but mostly they just sting. I've also burned a million tinynholes into my clothes with sparklers Fortunately, we're more careful with the heavier stuff so there haven't been any serious injuries in the family.

They enforce the "no fireworks in town" laws pretty heavily here. Probably because we have all of this nothing, so jeez, just head out of town and quit bothering nice quiet townspeople. Even with that enforcement there are a lot of inconsiderate louts.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a girl at my college who'd been injured in a fireworks accident. She had a glass eye and scars over half her face.

I've not had any desire to set off my own fireworks after that.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For years, in PA, the bigger stuff was illegal; we were essentially allowed sparklers.
That's all that's allowed in Arizona. Those and other small fireworks. But it's because of the fire danger, not the idiots. This law will not change anytime soon. By July, AZ is a tinderbox, just waiting to go up in flames.

We used to have bottle rockets when I was in Oklahoma, but we had 365 acres. Who were we going to hit?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
For years, in PA, the bigger stuff was illegal; we were essentially allowed sparklers. ... The legislature recently allowed the bigger stuff to be sold.
I'm really sorry to hear that. I've witnessed too many accidents - one person blinded, another with a maimed hand - to think personal fireworks are a good idea.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been having issues with neighbors for 2 weeks now. They shoot off very loud M80s and other types of loud fireworks. I haven't had a decent sleep in 2 weeks. I've called the police, even spoke to the COP. Last night I finally saw the young woman from across the street right after she blew one off. She was with her 2 young children which really bothered me. She took off down the street, kids in tow. She came back after she thought I was in the house but was on the deck.
It's not just her.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There will always be inconsiderate people. The problem is that they can really injure someone in literally the blink of an eye.
My big peeve here in town is why do people think they don't have to pick up their used up fireworks and mess? On july 5th there is a ton of mess and litter on the streets. Isn't that littering? Then of course there is always a house or two that burns down because they put still hot fireworks in the trash next to their house! Come on people, have common sense! Use a metal trash can with water or at least don't put them right next to a building!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Many years ago, during a bad drought, out neighbors set off a bunch of big stuff. Even Rick was a little worried about the fire danger. The next morning, we found remnants in our pool and all over our side yard. That was the year that our other neighbor took his wife to a motel for the night because she was so paranoid that houses were going to burn down.

We hear on the news of somebody who lost fingers or got severely burned because of fireworks. And yesterday, FB was loaded with missing dog posts where the dog got scared and ran away on Thursday night.

And, you know, we did the same thing. Although Rick was always fairly careful with how he handled the stuff. But he had his share of stuff, too, when we were younger.

For the most part, our kids are OK with fireworks. Having the window fan on in the bedroom helps drown out some of the noise for the cats. The neighbors were setting off stuff last night. Molli was sleeping in my arms in bed. There'd be a loud boom, and she'd just stretch, give a sigh, and sleep. If Mom isn't worried, no reason to worry. And The Beast is getting hard of hearing, so she pretty much sleeps through it, too.

We have a couple of weeks yet to deal with it, then all will be calm again for the kids.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad I live in the boonies. No one up here is stupid enough to set of fireworks. My one neighbor does do a lot of target shooting, but he has a big pit and the targets are all down in it. There will be no stray bullets from this.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some dogs have actually had heart attacks from the terror they experience with fireworks. Sure, there was probably something wrong with their hearts but is the world only for the fit?

As for people who set off the fireworks getting hurt, I say good. They obviously can't learn any other way. Better they get hurt than innocent people and animals.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We drive to another town for their fireworks display and park in an old mall parking lot with our camp chairs. There are always tons of cars there. The ice cream truck was making rounds and people were shooting fireworks off there before the big show started. For the most part they seemed to be acting safely; setting them up away from people and using ones with nice bases that wouldn't tip easily. We were downwind of the smoke though. At least it kept the bugs down? :rolleyes:

My girls don't mind them. Some neighbors by our house always shoot some off. They had more tonight and my two didn't even twitch an ear. One of my mom's cats will sometimes walk around the house. Other than that none of our cats or the dogs have ever minded. But for us; I get my kids a bunch of glow necklaces and bracelets and what-not and that's it.

FflurCadwgawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In NYS the state department of homeland security has banned everything except sparkling devices.

However, to use a Wheel of Time term for those who make and distribute fireworks, there are Illuminator Guild tents *everywhere* and with zero safety precautions. One has been set up right in the local Walmart parking lot.

Once whike watching the community fireworks with my grandma, a neighbor nearby set off an Illuminator Guild firework about fifty feet from us.

I have an ingrained/genetic PTSD reaction to *anything* resembling a gunshot. Thunderstorms can also be bad if they're loud and close.

Of course I panicked. At that time I was in high school. I dove into the car, plugged my ears, and refused to watch the rest of the community show. Another time we were right under a different show and the same thing happened.

Some of us just DO NOT LIKE FIREWORKS. Or anything resembling a gunpowder explosion, period. :dunno::fear:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an ingrained/genetic PTSD reaction to *anything* resembling a gunshot. Thunderstorms can also be bad if they're loud and close.
This reminds me of something my son said. "Why do we celebrate the birth of a nation that make military people with PTSD (and some others) so afraid that they hide under the bed?" "These people keep us free and we try to scare them to death".

He has a valid point.