Anal glands...maybe?

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all! Thanks in advance for the advice.

My cat's butt tends to look dirty a lot, although I'm not sure if it's anal glands or poop. He occasionally has some really dry poops (but is getting miralax in his wet food so it looks good most of the time). He has some smudges of dark brown that seem to come from what I believe are the anal glands (located at 5 and 7-ish). Nothing looks irritated, and if I wipe them the area just goes to back like looking like little pinholes. Is it ok for him to have a bit of discharge as long as nothing looks inflamed? There's no smell and he doesn't lick the area or scoot on the ground. It's just a little crusty until he or I clean it.

My vet didn't seem that worried when I asked over the phone, but she also hasn't looked at it so I'm just spending my free time being anxious about my cat's butthole.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lol

Seriously though, I copied this from an article that TCS has, if you're interested in getting him to clean his own behind more regularly;

"AlphaCat, another TCS member, used butter. She softened the butter, let it melt on her fingers, and then smeared it on Sam’s butt. To make sure he didn't smear butter on the furniture, Sam was sequestered in the laundry room for about half an hour."

Last edited: