Anal Glands, Allergies, Parasites? Medical question

scarabaeidae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Apologies if this is the wrong forum, I'm new.
My cat, Boo, (4 years old, male, rescue) has been scooting and every once in a while starts growling while licking his rear almost obsessively, like he's in pain. If I try to look and/or touch him he responds by growling or hissing (extremely out of character). He's also been shaking his head (maybe itchy? his ears look clean and healthy). I took him to the vet and they checked his joints and expressed his anal glands, and I thought that was that, but he's just started up again after almost 3 weeks. I don't think it can be parasites (worms, fleas, etc.) as I have another cat and a dog who aren't showing any symptoms. He's eating, drinking, and seems to be using the litter box fine. Is it possible that it's caused by allergies (food, environmental, etc.) or is it still possible that it's his anal glands, especially since he stopped doing it for so long?

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! Apologies if this is the wrong forum, I'm new.
My cat, Boo, (4 years old, male, rescue) has been scooting and every once in a while starts growling while licking his rear almost obsessively, like he's in pain. If I try to look and/or touch him he responds by growling or hissing (extremely out of character). He's also been shaking his head (maybe itchy? his ears look clean and healthy). I took him to the vet and they checked his joints and expressed his anal glands, and I thought that was that, but he's just started up again after almost 3 weeks. I don't think it can be parasites (worms, fleas, etc.) as I have another cat and a dog who aren't showing any symptoms. He's eating, drinking, and seems to be using the litter box fine. Is it possible that it's caused by allergies (food, environmental, etc.) or is it still possible that it's his anal glands, especially since he stopped doing it for so long?
Have you considered Feline hyperesthesia? Does your cat lick it's hindquarters excessively or run away like something bit them? Ripples along back? I only ask because I saw all these symptoms in my car but what prompted me to go in was my cat started scooting her butt for several months. I thought maybe it was her anal glands. She also does the head shaking in addition to the other symptoms. Her anal glands were fine. I joined a Facebook group for feline stress induced cystitis and a member pointed out fhs to me which can be triggered by stress and can cause cystitis. I did my own research and brought this to my vet who doesn't really deal with fhs but I started my cat on meds about two months ago. The butt scooting has gotten much better as well as her other symptoms. Just something to consider if your cat has other symptoms. Google fhs videos of cats and you can see what some of the symptoms look like. Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarabaeidae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you considered Feline hyperesthesia? Does your cat lick it's hindquarters excessively or run away like something bit them? Ripples along back? I only ask because I saw all these symptoms in my car but what prompted me to go in was my cat started scooting her butt for several months. I thought maybe it was her anal glands. She also does the head shaking in addition to the other symptoms. Her anal glands were fine. I joined a Facebook group for feline stress induced cystitis and a member pointed out fhs to me which can be triggered by stress and can cause cystitis. I did my own research and brought this to my vet who doesn't really deal with fhs but I started my cat on meds about two months ago. The butt scooting has gotten much better as well as her other symptoms. Just something to consider if your cat has other symptoms. Google fhs videos of cats and you can see what some of the symptoms look like. Good luck
Thanks so much, I'll look into it! It definitely sounds like it might be it

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much, I'll look into it! It definitely sounds like it might be it
I agree that there are other things that could be causing it. That is why I asked if your cat had other symptoms like the ones I listed above. It also helps to look at videos of fhs cats because you would recognize the symptoms right away in your own cat. Obviously the more common things that could be wrong would be anal glands, worms, fleas etc. Did your vet check for all of those when you brought her in? I just mentioned fhs just in case your cat has the other symptoms and you have ruled out the more obvious causes with your vet because some people are not aware of fhs(I wasn't!). If you do rule out other causes and suspect fhs I would encourage you to join the fhs Facebook group. They are extremely knowledgeable and they are the ones that have walked me through what to point out and ask for with my vet who isn't all that familiar with fhs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarabaeidae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree that there are other things that could be causing it. That is why I asked if your cat had other symptoms like the ones I listed above. It also helps to look at videos of fhs cats because you would recognize the symptoms right away in your own cat. Obviously the more common things that could be wrong would be anal glands, worms, fleas etc. Did your vet check for all of those when you brought her in? I just mentioned fhs just in case your cat has the other symptoms and you have ruled out the more obvious causes with your vet because some people are not aware of fhs(I wasn't!). If you do rule out other causes and suspect fhs I would encourage you to join the fhs Facebook group. They are extremely knowledgeable and they are the ones that have walked me through what to point out and ask for with my vet who isn't all that familiar with fhs.
If it were worms or fleas wouldn't it be most likely for my other animals to also show symptoms? I understand it might be something else, but it does sound the most like what's been going on (but I'll try to get him in to the vet as soon as I can and see if there's anything else).

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it were worms or fleas wouldn't it be most likely for my other animals to also show symptoms? I understand it might be something else, but it does sound the most like what's been going on (but I'll try to get him in to the vet as soon as I can and see if there's anything else).
Yes, you would think your other pets would have them as well. Unless the anal glands are full again but that wouldn't explain the head shaking etc. The only other thing I could think would be allergies but if you haven't changed foods or something else?? Like I said if you suspect fhs the feline hyperesthesia group in Facebook is a great resource. They have helped me with what meds to start with and what to ask my vet. If you can get a video of your cats symptoms that helps your vet as well. My kitty is on gabapentin twice a day and amitriptyline but most cats are started on gabapentin and a ssri is only added when they have tail chasing or self mutilation. My cat doesn't have self mutilation but she was started on amitriptyline for her stress induced cystitis that happened prior to the fhs diagnosis. The amitriptyline just happened to be one of the meds that helps fhs. My cat has been on the gabapentin for about two months and I have seen alot of improvement. Only occasional butt scooting and she still licks her tail and hindquarters and takes off like a streak but recovers quickly and the episodes only last a few seconds. Good luck and I hope you find what the problem is!!