Anal Gland help?

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
So the other night I was sitting on the couch and started smelling something... really bad. I found a small 'spot' on the blanket on the back of the couch where Sammy had 'expressed' himself. His butt was still wet/gross/smelly. He definitely wasn't feeling great because his third eye lids were showing, and he was a little temperamental. He even hissed at me! ...Granted, I was prodding him a bit because I was worried. When I stopped, he went back to being my snuggle bug.

This morning though, he took a pee in the hall. It's VERY unlike him and at first I worried it was connected but then learned my mother didn't clean the cat boxes like she said she was, so I'm thinking maybe that's why he went there since he used his litter box once I got them all clean. I felt his tummy, nothing is firm, he seems fine.

I tried to clean his butt though and it's all caked on there, like it's weird? It's like his furr is caked to his butt. I tried to get it off and got some of it clean up until he decided enough was enough and fled.

He seems fine, but... i've never dealt with this with a cat before.

Is this something that requires a vet check now that he's expressed himself or should I leave him alone and just keep an eye on him?

He's eating/drinking/using his litter box just fine.if anyone has dealt with this, would love to know more info. Google just terrifies me to use

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Their poo glands can develop an abscess so I would get a vet check.
Could be it has cleaned itself out naturally but would check it out just in case.
And it does stink..been there done that!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Their poo glands can develop an abscess so I would get a vet check.
Could be it has cleaned itself out naturally but would check it out just in case.
And it does stink..been there done that!!
Yeah! Our dog has this problem every once in awhile, but never had to look at it with my cat. Is there a way to tell if he has an infection? Going to try and get him to the vet in the morning though

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: He is back from the vet, no infection, butt is now clean.

However the vet said he's about 3 pounds over weight and needs to get down to 14 pounds. He wants him on a diet food, but i HAVE NO IDEA what diet foods are good. Anyone know?