Anaemia

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After lots of medication (since April) Ryshu's blood is showing some signs of anaemia. The vet said that it could be from anaesthetic as well so suggested to repeat this assessment at some point...
I just wonder if any of you have dealt with this problem and what are your experiences and any suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is your vet sure that the anemia has been triggered by the anesthetic?
What kind of tests have been done?
What's the result of them?
Thank you...
He had a full blood chemistry done...
Slightly decreased haematocrit, haemoglobin and RBC. A bit increased glucose...Also a bit low platelets...

She said it could have been response to anaesthetic and suggested to review this in around one month...

I also think that it relates to him being on various meds since April and on four occasions he had to be under a general anaesthetic due to some investigations related to the mouth ulcerations...
Moreover, I think omeprasole may have some impact...we are now tapering omeprasole...

I am unsure about re-testing him so quickly (another blood test), as he will require to be sedated again...I would like him to recover and then to do the test perhaps in around 6 months...

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you...
He had a full blood chemistry done...
Slightly decreased haematocrit, haemoglobin and RBC. A bit increased glucose...Also a bit low platelets...

She said it could have been response to anaesthetic and suggested to review this in around one month...

I also think that it relates to him being on various meds since April and on four occasions he had to be under a general anaesthetic due to some investigations related to the mouth ulcerations...
Moreover, I think omeprasole may have some impact...we are now tapering omeprasole...

I am unsure about re-testing him so quickly (another blood test), as he will require to be sedated again...I would like him to recover and then to do the test perhaps in around 6 months...
I believe that slightly decreased levels of HCT, HGB and RBC could not be indicative of anemia.
Several cats have low numbers in that department, but they are fine after all. The low platelets seem a constant in testing cat blood. I was told that cat blood tends to clot or get altered rather easily so the platelets could be low when they clot or aggregate. All reports I have seen in my life show the platelet number and the level of aggregation of them.

Anyway, given that the vet suspects a possible anemia, did they give your cat something to help him? A supplement?

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe that slightly decreased levels of HCT, HGB and RBC could not be indicative of anemia.
Several cats have low numbers in that department, but they are fine after all. The low platelets seem a constant in testing cat blood. I was told that cat blood tends to clot or get altered rather easily so the platelets could be low when they clot or aggregate. All reports I have seen in my life show the platelet number and the level of aggregation of them.

Anyway, given that the vet suspects a possible anemia, did they give your cat something to help him? A supplement?
Not at the moment, as she said it would be good to retest him...

I am giving him multivitamins and probiotics anyway (Purina PRO PLAN® Multivitamins + Adult & Senior Cat Supplements)

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your blood work mention any level or reticulocytes? If the number is high, this could mean that his system is reacting and regenerating the red blood cells to compensate for the anemia.

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does your blood work mention any level or reticulocytes? If the number is high, this could mean that his system is reacting and regenerating the red blood cells to compensate for the anemia.
The level of reticulocytes is within norm 😺