Amount of wet food to give kitten

Jacp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
My kitten is 3 months and weighs 3lbs. Right now I am feeding her 1/3 of wet food 2x a day and keeping dry food out for her to nibble on. I am just wondering at what age do I up her food amount ?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens are rapidly growing bottomless pits so the general rule is to feed them as much as they will eat. Many people feed both canned and dry food to kittens, usually more canned than dry. Just feed according to your kitten's appetite. If the kitten eats all the food you give and meows for more, then feed more. A few 3 oz cans daily isn't unheard of.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello,
My kitten is 3 months and weighs 3lbs. Right now I am feeding her 1/3 of wet food 2x a day and keeping dry food out for her to nibble on. I am just wondering at what age do I up her food amount ?
:hellosmiley: Jacp, welcome to TCS!

A 3 month old kitten needs to be fed 4 - 5 times day and be fed as much as she can eat in a sitting. Wet food is best for growing kittens as wet food is full of proteins and minerals to aid a growing kitten and they keep the kitten hydrated as dry food is full of carbohydrates.

You may feed her kitten formula wet food till she reaches maturity which is 1 year old for cats of normal breeds. Or you may get wet food labeled 'For All Life Stages' and feed her till her maturity age and change to adult food gradually or stick to the one that's labeled 'For all Life Stages'.

A kitten is full of energy and they burn off lots of calories while playing and they need at 300 calories a day to keep them active. If you are not sure on how much calories to feed, read the label on the can where it's shown how much calories is in the can. Alternatively, feed as much as she can eat at one sitting as you can never overfeed a growing kitten. Simple formula to feeding is something like this - lets say you feed 5 times a day so it'll be something like - xxxxx times a day with yyy amount of food per sitting or xxxx times a day with yyyy amount of food per sitting. You can just experiment it out while feeding your kitty and see how much she eats at one sitting and from there you can roughly gauge how many times to feed and how much food to give a day. Just play around with the numbers and you are roughly there.

My boy is a rescue and he came home at 3 weeks old and he was fed wet food labeled 'For All Life Stages' till now. nHe's already 4 1/2 years old and he's neither skinny or overweight and stir very active when playing and he gets around 250 calories a day.