Amount Of Dry Food For Kitten

Cornishmaid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
please can someone advise me how much dry food to feed my 6 month old kitten thank u x

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens should be fed as much as they will eat. They are active and growing.

Wet food is healthier than dry so it would be good to incorporate some into the diet.

A lot of problem leave out dry food all day and give a couple feedings of wet.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I can tell you how I feed my cats. They each get 3/4 of a 5.5oz can of wet food per day and 3/8 cup dry food each (1/8 cup 3 times.) I take all that and split it into 2 meals a day at 7am and 7pm. So they each get about 1/4 cup wet food and 1/8 cup plus 1 Tablespoon of dry food twice a day each. So a little less than a cup of food each per day total. Hope that makes sense. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cornishmaid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The rescue centre said 30grams of dry twice a day but seems to have eaten half before I can get it in the dish lol

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The rescue centre said 30grams of dry twice a day but seems to have eaten half before I can get it in the dish lol
I don't know what brand you're using, but with my dry food, 60 grams would be about 230 calories. For a growing kitten that seems a little low. How's your cat's body condition look? Skinny, normal, a little heavy? When my boys were 6 months old I gave them around 280-300 calories a day. But every cat is different.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i feed all my cats 2 wet meals per day, and leave out dr. elseys dry. With kittens i do the same, but feed wet 3 or 4 times a day if i can.. they need lots of food for growing :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As has been said, kittens need as much food as they will eat.
Thank you for caring and asking ! He is lucky to have you!!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Here’s a helpful article: How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?

Kittens need to eat a lot; they need to get the nutrients in order to grow into strong, healthy young cats. Some posters have had success with leaving out dry food all day and then feeding wet food at meals. This works well as long as your kitten isn’t the “scarf ‘n barf” type who would eat all the dry in one sitting.