Amazon Prime

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely, I've done it quite often.
thank you!

Absolutely. I have about 30 items in my subscribe and save. Once a month I go through the list and keep anything I need on it and skip anything I don't. You can change the frequency or cancel the item by clicking edit on the picture of the item but I find it easier to just skip the item if I don't need it.
thank you! i like that skip option!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the items will actually not have anything less than x-day shipping (a lot of things I've seen have no sooner than 3-day), but the shipping page still only says 2-day. Probably hard-coded that way unfortunately. Also, depending on WHEN in the day you order, it may or may not count the day you order it.

if you look on the side of the page when placing your order, it will usually say something like "if you want by *insert date*, order within *x hours*".

I've often had things come past the 2-day mark, but I've often had things arrive the next day. And in one case, when I ordered something very early in the morning, it arrived that same night.

As far as groceries, I love Prime Pantry! Yes, a lot of things there ARE cheaper than the regular grocery store. Not all, but quite a few. Supplements are OFTEN cheaper there, like CoQ10. Omg, that is so expensive at the store, but actually doable from Amazon.

As far as pet food and pet supplies, I always have multiple tabs open so I can compare Amazon, Chewy, Drs F&S, Petco and Petsmart. The redeeming thing with Amazon - since I DO have Prime, I don't have to hunt for stuff to get to the $49 mark.
What is Coq10?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got a 30 day trial.  I ordered somethings a couple weeks ago and decided to take advantage of the free shipping a trial membership would give me. I ordered on a Wednesday or Thursday and received the items the following Monday.   3 of the  7 items I ordered did not qualify for free shipping, or for the 2 day delivery.

I don't order from Amazon often enough to warrant paying $80 per year to get free and 2 day shipping.  So I have a sticky note on my monitor reminding me to cancel before March 9th.  They will be billing me on March 11th. 

I tend to order from eBay where I look for vendors that have free shipping.

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love Amazon Prime! We are in a very rural area and have only one vehicle. It's easier to click a mouse a few times than it is to drag all my kids out of bed and drop DH at work, so that I can drag the same 3 kids through the store to get things. This week my kids need drawing pencils and sketch pads for homeschool co-op. I'll be looking for those on there.

Items like cat toothpaste I always order from there. I'm not sure that any stores in my town carry it, plus Amazon's price is better. I have a very specific organic brand of hand soap that I buy. (Sensitive skin) The brick and mortar store that carries it charges over $4 per bottle and is over 20 miles away! I can buy it by the case on Amazon for less than $3 per bottle and plan it so that I don't run out.

Our Amazon Prime account is free and we have it whether we choose to use it or not. Knowing what I know now, though, I'd gladly pay for a Prime account if it ever became necessary.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
[thread="312387"]Quote:[/thread]

Just a heads up for anyone who uses Amazon but is on the fence about going for the Prime membership. They have increased the minimum order amount for free shipping from $35 to $49. I just noticed it today. I'm not sure when it went into effect.
You know, last night I looked at the price of cat food, cat litter, dog, food, and certain other grocery items on Amazon. I wasn't impressed with any of the prices at all. I can get them much cheaper at our local Giant store and/or PetSmart, esp when items are on sale and/or I have coupons. I don't understand what groceries people are buying through Amazon that are so much cheaper than the local grocery store. What am I missing? Or is it just the convenience of having things shipped for free?

I noticed that the minimum order amount increased; I'm not sure either when it happened. Some people on another board were complaining (quite bitterly) about the increase. 

As for Prime, I ordered the Composure Max Liquid for the girls last Saturday. It came the following Wednesday and that was with Prime. No 2-day shipping there, even considering the Presidents' Day holiday.
The litter I have been buying is WAY more money on Amazon. :nod: Aaron's razor blades are much cheaper though.

Very interesting about the increase on the minimum order for free shipping.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Putting free shipping at $49 puts it on the same level as other sites like Chewy and I think diapers.com.  It's been a while since I've ordered from them.  Most site seem to offer it at something like $49 or $79.  Or $100.  With Chewy I order enough to get to the free shipping.  That means last night I ended up ordering 2 cat toys with Mooch's supplement.  

I need to remember that when I order the girls meds from Drs Foster and Smith too.  It can be a good deal to do that.  

Maybe enough people have Prime now that they don't need to entice people to shop the same way.  I also wonder if we have more items on Prime here in the US than in Canada?  

I have looked at the groceries on Amazon for things I am having trouble finding in store.  It's not been worth it.  They gave me a $5 credit for the Prime Pantry; but you have to fill a box I think.  They also didn't have what we use for major things on Prime Pantry.  They do have them off Prime Pantry though.  But prices fluctuate so you really should keep an eye before you settle into a routine of buying something consumable like that off Amazon.  Or any of the other online sites.