Amazon Fire

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't keep up with all the newest gadgets so bear with me (and no, I'm not that old). What does the Amazon Fire do? :headscratch: Is it like an IPad? If it is, do you have one and do you recommend it? I'm intrigued by the Fire. It seems neat but I don't want to spend money on something I might not use very much (or receive one as a gift). I don't get the access to movies, tv, music, etc feature. Do you need to have a separate paid subscription for each of those things? If you don't need those features, what else can you do with the Fire?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It pretty much is a limited tablet. I have one. It only works over WiFi for your internet connection. You can use it to go online, download apps through the Amazon store (games, Facebook, etc). Maybe think of it like you really cell phone without calling or texting and only connects by wifi.

My parents are thinking about getting a tablet to use when traveling. I've described it to them as a good starter tablet to see if you even want a tablet. It isn't as functional as a iPad or tablet laptop combo but it will do if you want something a little bigger than a cell to play around with.

Most of the features they described are apps you use. Downloading the Netflix app then accessing your Netflix account. If you have Amazon Prime then watching Prime videos through it. It doesn't really come with free music or videos, although some games are free to download. I have a separate account for my niece on mine with the Free time kids set up. It costs me $4 a month but she gets filtered content, videos and games included with the subscription fee.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I don't use NetFlix or Prime so a Fire woud likely be useless to me for those things:think: I'd probably use it just for the Internet, e-reader, games, and freebie apps. I have thought about an iPod Touch but the screen is small and it's pricey.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kids and I have Fires. It's great for kids because you can limit what they have access to. I have the subscription for them where they get certain content (books, apps, and shows) they can access as they see fit. I can also limit their time in each thing, hours they can use it, etc.

I use mine less now that I have a smartphone; but it's still great to have. I can play games or read. I can sync between devices when I'm reading something. I can watch Netflix or my AmazonPrime shows. Before the kids had one I'd let them watch some things. I also let them bring them when I have doctor's appointments. Since we homeschool they always have to come with me. So they know they get some kindle time and it really helps the time pass for them!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I don't use NetFlix or Prime so a Fire woud likely be useless to me for those things:think: I'd probably use it just for the Internet, e-reader, games, and freebie apps. I have thought about an iPod Touch but the screen is small and it's pricey.
If this is what you plan on using it for, you'll love it. I :heartshape: mine. I have quite a few games on it and LOTS of books. Most were free from Bookbub.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I have an Amazon Fire 7 HD and use it much more than I thought I would, primarily for reading email and surfing the Web when I can't be bothered booting up my laptop (which is more and more often). I have Amazon Prime and sometimes watch videos on it, too, or read e-books when my Kindle e-reader is charging.

It's very fast and more comfortable than a smartphone due to the larger size. The one drawback is that the number of apps available from the Amazon app store is limited.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do have a smartphone (several years old but usable) but I don't use it much other than phone calls, freebie games, checking the bus schedule, calling for a Lyft ride, and occasionally checking email. The screen is small-ish so it's hard to follow a yoga program :ohwell: A Fire or something would be better for that.

The local library allows for e-books and magazines to be "checked out" on a personal e-reader. That's something I'd like to do.

I have an Amazon Fire 7 HD and use it much more than I thought I would, primarily for reading email and surfing the Web when I can't be bothered booting up my laptop (which is more and more often).
I need a new computer too :sigh: Mine is still running on Windows Vista (!). It takes at least 10 minutes for my computer to fully start up so I can use it without annoying screen freezes. That's why I take my work laptop home most weekends :paperbag: It runs on Windows 7 but it's way faster than my desktop.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a couple of them and I love them. It does everything I would want to do, and I can't see spending the money on an iPad for features I would never use anyway. The fire 7 inch is on sale now for $29. Fantastic deal!

Which, by the way, can anyone tell me what you can do on an iPad that you can't do on a Kindle Fire? I'm just curious. I looked it up once and didn't seem to be much of anything.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Which, by the way, can anyone tell me what you can do on an iPad that you can't do on a Kindle Fire? I'm just curious. I looked it up once and didn't seem to be much of anything.

No idea since I don't have either but I Googled these:

Apple iPad or Amazon Fire: Which is the best holiday tablet? | ZDNet
Amazon Fire HD 10 vs. iPad Air 2: Which is the better big tablet?
iPad Air vs. Kindle Fire: Which Tablet Is Right for You? - NerdWallet
Kindle Fire HD vs. iPad

The last one seems to sum it up: The iPad is a "does everything" tablet, while the Fire HD remains focused on media consumption.

Is the Kindle a different gadget from the Fire? I've seen articles and reviews that refer to the tablet thing as Kindle Fire but then there are others that refer to the same thing (I think) as the Amazon Fire or Fire and the Kindle is just a e-reader to read books on :headscratch:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The Kindle is an e-reader. It does have a browser that allows very limited and slow Internet access, but that's such a frustrating experience that you can forget that function. The Kindle Fire is a tablet computer that can also be used as an e-reader.
Is the Kindle a different gadget from the Fire? I've seen articles and reviews that refer to the tablet thing as Kindle Fire but then there are others that refer to the same thing (I think) as the Amazon Fire or Fire and the Kindle is just a e-reader to read books on :headscratch:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The fire 7 inch is on sale now for $29. Fantastic deal!
I saw that and I do have a $25 Amazon gift card soooo....:think: I did give my wish list to a friend and the Fire is on it so I don't want to take the chance of buying one myself and also receiving one. I know, I can always return the extra. I left my wish list kind of vague instead of asking for specific items. I like the surprise of getting something I need but with the gift giver giving some thought into what color, design, etc to choose. I just listed "Fire" and I'm not entirely sure if my friend would know what I mean by that but I'm sure she'll ask if that's the item she wants to get. Otherwise I might end up with something fire-related:fire::eek2:

The Kindle is an e-reader. It does have a browser that allows very limited and slow Internet access, but that's such a frustrating experience that you can forget that function. The Kindle Fire is a tablet computer that can also be used as an e-reader.

Got it :agree: Kindle = e-reader. Kindle / Amazon Fire = tablet similar to an iPad and also functions as an e-reader.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have both a kindle e-reader and a kindle fire. I use my e-reader daily. If you plan to read a lot; it's much easier on the eyes. But I've read books on the fire. And since they sync up it's nice to have a backup for the times the kindle reader needs charging. (The e-reader has an excellent battery!)

I will say; if the kindle fire has a slot for an SD card, go ahead and purchase one now. My kids used to fill up their memory fairly quickly. But SD cards aren't too expensive and it gives them a lot more room for games and things. My Fire is the 2nd generation; so it didn't come with the option. But I've never run out of space anyway. I don't put movies on it; I only stream.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a very old Kindle. I think it was first or second generator. It is still going strong. I like it..

I think if I were to replace it, I would consider an iPad.. they can do everything.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I won't be able to do any online shopping until I get home tonight. Hopefully Amazon won't have all the Fires sold out by then :crossfingers: I'll have to look at the comparison of different models again but it doesn't look like they're all that different, just bigger screen size or longer battery life or something. The basic one (7?) is likely good enough for what I'd use it for.

My friend made no mention of the Fire yesterday when she asked me for a bit more details of items on my wish list :think: If I end up with two Fires, I'll return one.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At that price; the possibility of returning one is worth it I think. They were much more expensive when I got mine!

The kindle-readers are still a bit more; but the technology is different in them. Amazon also does have a trade-in program. Or they used to. My first kindle reader had some screen damage and wasn't back-lit at all. I was able to get some money off the paperwhite one I have now.