Am I weird?

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I have an interesting thing, and I was wondering if anyone else has issues with their fingernails.First off,

I have tons of hang nails for whatever reason, I must rip them off- trimming isn't my fortitude, not sure why- I think it is because I don't want a single trace of the hanger, if you trim- some of it is still there to get snagged on things. Its like a hang nail obsession, I don't rest easy until it is completely off - even if it means taking part of the nail with it.

So basically, I end up pulling the hang nails off and they end up bleeding a tiny bit, however-- while I know its probably not good, I have found a good solution ( at least for me..). I

It is commonly known that a tourniquet not only works to stop blood flow, but also numbs the area of pain. That being said, I use 'mini tourniquets" on these bleeding & sore fingernails.  I will start out with those big plastic clothespins and put them on there until it numbs it- (by very slightly cutting off circulation) but only for about 5 - 10 minutes, then remove it and it is not hurting, due to minor circulation being cut off. I know this is probably weird.

After the "clothespin" treatment, I use band aids and they have to be SPECIFIC. Not sheer, and not Fabric- but stretchy plastic, Band aid brand is useless... the Curad fabric is OK, but my preference is the plastic stretchy (but not breakable) kind that will stretch all the way around, acting like a miniature tourniquet.

Aside from it being strange, and probably not good-- LOL

Am I the only one who does this type of thing???

Surely the logic goes to reason

Blood to injured area = Pain

Stop blood to injured area = no pain - Numb

If I don't have access to a bandaid, I may use a ponytail in lieu of one or in lieu of a clothespin.

Or most recently I have also used something such as Saran wrap if I can find it, or any type of stretchy poly style bag of sorts that will basically acheive the same results.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could lose a finger that way. . .be careful. Blood flow is a good thing! :D

I suppose we all have some odd quirks. I can't think of mine right now because I'm too tired. . .except for staying up too late even though I'm tired! :tongue2:

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My answer to your title is yes 

Seriously though, my belly buttons gone all funny reading that 

You should give yourself a manicure once a week and you shouldn't get hang nails, because they sound painful 
   Make sure you put hand cream on whenever you've washed paying attention to the nails  because that keeps them soft.

As for cutting the circulation off i'm not sure how good that is for you?

aimerlee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I have a really bad hangnail, I trim as much off as possible, then coat it in petroleum jelly and put a bandaid over it. Not sure if that's the right way, but the bandaid keeps it from snagging on things until it is softened up from the vaseline.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can make a nail/hand scrub with either epsom salt and olive oil or sugar and olive oil or even the new pink Dawn and sugar.  Every evening before bed, wash your hands and pat dry.  Then apply the scrub, about a tablespoon or so, and rub into hands and cuticles around nails.  Rinse with tepid water. When I do this routine, I follow up with dabbing either Sweet Oil (found in the pharmacy section of Wal-mart) or pure evening primrose oil on my cuticles and rub in.  Then, I apply some really nice, thick lotion and go to bed.  The scrub gently buffs off the dead skin and hangnails. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the ideas are logical lol...

So we shall see :) Mostly just wanted to know f I was a lone lol

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you probably are all alone in doing this.  When you trim your nails with a scissor or nail clipper, they don't get completely smooth..  So what I do after I cut my fingernails is go over them again with an emory board.  It's much safer and only takes a few minutes.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have not heard of that one. OUCH!!! But I am sure we all have different ways of going about things. :D Be careful about those hang nails.... they can get infected. I got a twinge when you said you "rip them off" :eek: OUCH OUCH!!!! :vibes: