Am I Feeding My Kittens Enough/too Much???

shawnturner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I have had my two kittens who are 8 weeks old since Tuesday. I am feeding them half a pouch of whiskas kitten wet food 4 times a day which they share and I am leaving 30 grams of whiskas kitten biscuits down throughout the day as I was told too many biscuits can be bad for male cats.

The recommended amount is 1/2 - 1 pouch plus 20-30 grams of biscuits per cat per day, but I am giving 2 pouches and 30 grams of biscuits between them both.

Does this sound ok? Or should I be feeding them more or less?

thanks,

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.
References:
- Am I feeding my kittens enough/too much???
- Animated product demo video Examples

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello shawnturner, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Kittens needs to eat very frequently. Feed them as much as they can eat. Feed them 4 - 5 times a day. It's good to feed them wet food as wet they need proteins to grow and dry food is carbohydrates.

Kittens are very active and they they need calories to burn and they eat often and sleep and play a lot.

Try this to gauge the amount and number of times to feed them :-

Feed xxx amount of food xxxx times a day or xxxx amount of food and xxx times a day. Observe how much they can eat at one sitting. If at one sitting they finish up and still want some more, give them some more. If they did not finish and walk away, that's the amount they are eating at one sitting. Same goes for the number of feed per day.
Just observe and play around with the amount and number of feeds for a day or so and you'll get the idea of the feeding routine.

Another rough gauge is indoor cats need 20 calories per pound per day. For me, I go with the amount and number of feed way, I find it easier rather than to calculate. After all, at the end of the day, you just add up the total calories for the day and you roughly get it.

Don't worry if you overfeed them.

What are their names? And do introduce yourself to the community in 'New Cats on the Block' under the Social Forums. Do post their photos for us to see.

Also do check out the rest of the forums for the interesting threads and also the informative Articles.

Please ensure that your kitties vaccinations are up to date and here are some important articles for you to read :-

How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?

When to spay or neuter a cat?

Why You Should Spay and Neuter Your Cats