alternative low calcium diet needed

mrs.catlover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat, Millie was diagnosed with hypercalcemia about a year ago. I went against the vet's advise and put her on a raw diet. Northwest Natural Frozen Chicken Bites. Her ionized calcium levels went down. Unfortunately, the recent test has shown that they have returned to 1.45. I am now wondering which way to go. I have read the literature from Dr. Peterson. I paid for a diet from Davis. However, upon analysis, it looks like it has a lot of calcium and they have added synthetic vitamins and Morton's ionized salt which I found strange. When questioned about it, they were very defensive. The homemade diet is also very difficult with adding the supplements accurately. You can not heat the food with the supplements in it. I am looking for an alternative raw food for Millie without too much calcium. Millie's appetite has suddenly diminished. This was after her recent vet visit where she had a blood draw, urine draw, and vaccination. Any help would be appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. This section from the Raw Feeding for IBD cats web site - which really can be used well beyond just IBD cats - contains a lot of helpful information about making your own food and adding supplements. Raw Feeding Recipes & Resources - Raw Feeding for IBD Cats
I believe the above also addresses use of Altrunin as an alternative to EZCompete, whereby - among other supplements - you have to add your own eggshells for calcium. That being the case you could lower the amount to be added for Millie, if you would choose to make your own food.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most cats are find with eating cold food but some may prefer slighly warmed up food. You can warm food up a bit by place the baggie / container of food into a bigger bowl of warm water. Let sit for a couple minutes or so. This will not affect any supplement that may be mixed into the food.