Alternate way to add supplements

frjame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am thinking that an alternate (easier?) way to add supplements to home-made chicken diet is to mix the supplements in a quart jar (bone meal, pumpkin puree, taurine, lysine, arginine, and nutritional yeast) and pour a few tablespoons over the morning and evening serving of boiled or roasted chicken. (about 95 grams of chicken per serving)

If it works, I can keep a container of two-days worth of chicken in the refrigerator so it doesn't go bad, pulling a new one from the freezer every other day.

Mix the refrigerated food with the liquid supplement and a little hot water.

Does that make sense?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It may not be as accurate per meal.

Could you put the portioned suppliments into a ice cube tray with some water and freeze and then defrost a cube per? Or would that ruin the integrity of the suppliments?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frjame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good idea, thank you.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Freezing is a good idea. I make batches of food then freeze it in small containers.

I'm curious about your supplements, F frjame , since meat requires a few more ingredients (most recipes call for things like liver and certain vitamins) than you've listed to be considered complete cat food. Maybe there's more in your mix than you mentioned but just in case, this page contains very detailed information about what needs to be added to meat to make balanced food. Making Cat Food (catinfo.org)

There's also a nutrition subforum for homemade and raw food that's a good place to discuss recipes and methods for making food.