ALOT of energy after spay

raptordeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was told she would probably be groggy but she decided to go the opposite route and try and challenge everyone and everything. Shes being kept in my room while she heals and she is very unpleased. Im trying to get her to settle down but she just want to go go go. Ive heard this is a possibility but i was wondering if its okay that she jumps on my bed. i put a basket she could climb half way up on so its not as high of a height up and down but she wants to be a rebel and not use it. Should it be okay? its not a super high height and shes not running and jumping or anything but im just concerned about her wanting to hop around so bad. Her incision looks good to me but the tattoo seems to be a bit scabby looking. is that normal?
IMG_3272.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry, I can't tell much of anything in that pic. Have you considered making some makeshift steps out of boxes to see if she will use those instead of trying to jump on the bed?

Depending on how long it has been since the spay surgery, she could be reacting from the anesthesia and any pain meds they gave her, so she is essentially 'feeling no pain' and wants to act her normal self. That could change once everything wears off.

Tbh, I never did anything to keep either of my female cats from doing whatever they wanted to do after spaying, but maybe I was just lucky. Try to monitor her, and keep an eye on her incision, but don't over worry!

cytotoxic-cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My rowdy 7 year old cat ripped out her stitches and played a lot fresh out of surgery when she got spayed at 9 weeks, but never had any problems (we did call the vet who confirmed there is more internal closures keeping the wound safe). Don't remember giving her anything special to get on the bed but we had a bench at the end of bed that was about half the height, so what you are doing sounds reasonable with offering a basket (maybe she will decide to use it when the pain meds are more worn off?).

This winter my sister's one-eyed kitten was spayed and she found cones to be completely intolerable- she is pretty uncoordinated haha. If yours hate the cone and later start messing with the incision-site, we ended up cutting up a t-shirt to make a DIY onesie that we tied onto her like a recovery suit which worked very well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raptordeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Sorry, I can't tell much of anything in that pic. Have you considered making some makeshift steps out of boxes to see if she will use those instead of trying to jump on the bed?

Depending on how long it has been since the spay surgery, she could be reacting from the anesthesia and any pain meds they gave her, so she is essentially 'feeling no pain' and wants to act her normal self. That could change once everything wears off.

Tbh, I never did anything to keep either of my female cats from doing whatever they wanted to do after spaying, but maybe I was just lucky. Try to monitor her, and keep an eye on her incision, but don't over worry!
alright thank you ☺ im a worried person and just really want to make sure all is well. i assumed her craziness was from the pain meds but i just wanted to make sure its nothing really serious to worry about. i would indeed like to sleep tonight but since she’s slipping out of everything ive just been worried that she will rip everything apart while im sleeping. Tried to get a better picture but shes not keen on holding still 😅 She went pee already and ate and drank so im not worried about that. Shes just a rambunctious kitten and i dont want her to open anything back up. And about the tattoo, i just think it looks a little patchy i guess? im not exactly sure how to describe it but i think i got a better picture
IMG_3286.jpeg

raptordeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My rowdy 7 year old cat ripped out her stitches and played a lot fresh out of surgery when she got spayed at 9 weeks, but never had any problems (we did call the vet who confirmed there is more internal closures keeping the wound safe). Don't remember giving her anything special to get on the bed but we had a bench at the end of bed that was about half the height, so what you are doing sounds reasonable with offering a basket (maybe she will decide to use it when the pain meds are more worn off?).

This winter my sister's one-eyed kitten was spayed and she found cones to be completely intolerable- she is pretty uncoordinated haha. If yours hate the cone and later start messing with the incision-site, we ended up cutting up a t-shirt to make a DIY onesie that we tied onto her like a recovery suit which worked very well!
thank you for the input ☺ i think im just being a worrywart but i’ve never had a cat be spayed before so i just want to make sure im doing everything right. i tried to make a little onesie for her from a sock but since shes already 9 months old she’s pretty big and it didn’t fit at all 😅

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She might be having a it of a reaction to the tattoo. I am not familiar with them, as they were not being done when my cats were spayed. You can always send a pic to the vet and see what they think.
If she will stay with you in your room overnight that would be good. We all suffer from lack of sleep sometimes when dealing with our cats. I have lost many hours over many years!

raptordeer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She might be having a it of a reaction to the tattoo. I am not familiar with them, as they were not being done when my cats were spayed. You can always send a pic to the vet and see what they think.
If she will stay with you in your room overnight that would be good. We all suffer from lack of sleep sometimes when dealing with our cats. I have lost many hours over many years!
yeah i was thinking maybe her skin reacted a little weirdly to it but it doesn’t seem to be bothering her. if it gets worse i’ll contact the clinic. She should stay in my room just fine and hopefully will leave her incision alone 😅

cytotoxic-cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i tried to make a little onesie for her from a sock but since shes already 9 months old she’s pretty big and it didn’t fit at all 😅
Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 8.38.56 PM.png

Just in case! I saw your other post about cone alternatives, so heres just a little more context on how we did the getup for Winky. Really just made holes and sliced a old yellowing t-shirt up until it could be tied on