Alopecia In Young Cat

Ronboof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm really concerned about what could be causing a growing bald patch on my 1 yr old Burmese. About two weeks ago I had him on my lap and noticed he had a sore on the back of his neck and a little bald spot. Gave him a full body inspection and found a larger bald spot on his shoulder and a tiny one on the opposite side. I had seen him wrestling with my other cat about half an hour before so I figured things had just gotten a little rough.

The other day the scab on the back of his neck looked like it had taken a knock and was a bit raw, the big bald spot looked bigger and balder!

Im going to take him to the vet in the morning but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what the cause could be?
Hes not itchy or much of a groomer either so he hasnt done it to himself out of discomfort. He is eating, drinking, pooping normally and hes still tearing around the house like a bat out of hell. Other cat has no patches and they were wormed recently.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Has anything in his environment changed recently? Like a new kind of food, new treats, or even a new cleaning product? Allergies are a common cause of fur loss in cats. Since he doesn’t seem to be itchy (which I think rules out fleas), environmental allergies could be a possibility. Since the patch is on the back of his neck, is he on flea preventatives? Some cats have reactions to those. Fungal infections like ringworm could be another possible cause. This article has more info: Skin Conditions In Cats

Your vet will be able to get things sorted out. Please keep us updated, and let us know how the appointment goes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ronboof

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anything in his environment changed recently? Like a new kind of food, new treats, or even a new cleaning product? Allergies are a common cause of fur loss in cats. Since he doesn’t seem to be itchy (which I think rules out fleas), environmental allergies could be a possibility. Since the patch is on the back of his neck, is he on flea preventatives? Some cats have reactions to those. Fungal infections like ringworm could be another possible cause. This article has more info: Skin Conditions In Cats

Your vet will be able to get things sorted out. Please keep us updated, and let us know how the appointment goes!
I am so insanely paranoid that I left work early and took him to the vet, just got back!

The vet gave him a cortisone injection and said he could be itching and plucking when we arent around to see it. Its spring in Australia so she said a lot of pets are coming in with skin issues at the moment (Australian plants are horrible).

So the injection lasts about a week and if there hasnt been fur regrowth or if the wound opens up again we are to go back and maybe try a diet to see if its something he's eating giving him a reaction.

I'm glad she wasnt too worried but she was a little stumped about the big bald patch, I guess because its just bald with no sign of scratching... more likely plucked.

Fingers crossed its something simple, I was freaking out thinking it was cancer or something awful!

One interesting tid bit she told me was about his eye boogies, apparently cats who get these dark coloured eye boogers are more likely to have skin allergies!