Allergy?

Afri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone!

I adopted a cat nearly 3 weeks ago and I am having a bit of a struggle now.

When I got it, he already had the base of the tail ´slimmer´ than the rest ( like if he was lacking a bit of hair there compared to the tip), but just few days ago I noticed that on one side of the base of the tail, he is missing quite few of fur. Then observing, I noticed he scratches a lot there so I suspect it is himself by scratching that he does it, but he also scratches a bit everywhere but all the fur except that is OK. On the other hand, I think he is grooming himself a lot, he also has wattery eyes ( vet said its because of nose shape, its a scottish fold), also I hear him sneeze quite often. Then at night, sometimes I hear him meow... its usuall long meows ( its a male castrated). He is anti parasited inside and outside (less than a week ago)

The animal refuge had him for 2 days only before I got it, and I assume they were giving him some kind of royal canin dry food, which is what I bought at home, and now swapping to Acana wild prairie. I think he might be getting some kind of allergy to both kibble so I think it might be chicken as its present in both of them

I am half in betweeen transitioning him from his initial royal canin 37 sterilised to acana wild prairie (75% acana and 25 RC, after around 20 days) but I am unable to confirm if the scratching issue was there before initiating the transition, as he was hiding quite a lot. What I can say is that he definitely had that ´slim tail base´ ( but unable to confirm that spot with missing fur), wattery eyes, snoozing, and kind of very sedentary attitude while being only around 1 year old....

While sleeping he is OK, but as soon as he wakes up he is grooming and scratching... since scratching itches more the more you scratch i think that might be th reason...

Anyway, I am open to suggestions on what to do. Do you think it is allergy? Right now I was thinking to finish the transition to Acana kibbles ( because might be he is allergic to that Royal Canin) and rush it a bit, then I was thinking to swap it to a fish based kibble like Acana pacific. On the other hand, I thought to cancel the kibble transnition and keep royal canin 37, or buy a hypoallergenic kibble. Ideally I would like to know if he is allergic to one kibble or the other to know for the future, so I would prefer not to buy a hypoallergenic one so that I know if the problem comes from acana or royal canin....

anyway, it might not be allergy at all, what do you suggest I do?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! It could be allergy related, but maybe not the food - something in the environment. Might help to explain the watery eyes and the sneezing - in addition to the overgrooming.

How old is your cat? I don't know how prevalent it is, but I have read that Scottish folds can be prone to the arthritic conditions - maybe he has a bit of arthritis in his tail base?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Afri

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! It could be allergy related, but maybe not the food - something in the environment. Might help to explain the watery eyes and the sneezing - in addition to the overgrooming.

How old is your cat? I don't know how prevalent it is, but I have read that Scottish folds can be prone to the arthritic conditions - maybe he has a bit of arthritis in his tail base?
Hey, thanks for your reply!

Forgot to mention, as per the vet he is around a year old... I am aware of what you mention however I think he is too young for that

He had wattery eyes since I got him, so I do not think it is from my house :(