Allergies - still struggling. Please help!

Peachiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty cat Peach is still struggling with horrible allergies. She is She is at her worst point now. I have an appointment with a new vet this week.

We have been to the vet many times for this. It’s been going on about 4 months. I’ve tried so many foods (rx, limited diet, novel protein). We’ve done steroids, but I’m worried about her having even one more course of prednisone. Omega fish oils did not seem to make a difference. Benadryl and chlorophenamine did not help. She is almost strictly indoors. I’ve keep her indoors for weeks with no change, and it started in January so I’m not sure it’s pollen related. I’ve switched food dishes, litter types, laundry detergents, no down comforter, no rugs, tore the carpet out of the house (seriously), no chemicals, no candles or anything like that, no body lotion for me. I even took her to my parents house to see if she would do better there. No dice.

We still have hydrolzed protein we could try. Maybe switch to raw. I’m hesitant to try Atopica, but if the vet prescribes it, I will. I will make an appointment with a holistic vet if this new vet doesn’t have any ideas. There are no local derm vets within hours of my house.

Does anyone have any advice that has actually worked for them for long term allergies?
I just want my baby to be happy and healthy and I want her hair to grow back on her adorable belly!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Peachiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Edit to add- her allergies manifest as itchy skin. She itches and over grooms her belly, base of tail, and one side. She has of course been treated for fleas monthly and no sign of them. Vet did look at a skin sample and found no parasites or other critters.

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems like you have tried just about everything! I'm so sorry you two are going through this. Out of curiosity, each time you made the diet change, how long did you test it for? I only ask because you mentioned that this has been going on since January and you've tried at least three different diets. When it comes to dietary allergies, it can take upwards to three months before the allergic reaction stops. I learned this the hard way with my cat Morty. I have recently come to the conclusion that he (as an extremely special/rare case) was reacting to fish oil amongst other things.

Since you asked what worked for us: it took me years to figure out the small amount of information I know now. After years of weekly+ vomiting I know Morty at the minimum has a strong fish allergy, but likely some other allergies as well. Since Morty really likes pork (most cats do not--I would suggest rabbit for the majority of cats) we did a limited ingredient diet of cooked pork with Alnutrin. I omitted the fish oil as well and it was/is the only thing that has ever stopped his vomiting and itching. However, this won't apply to every cat because allergies can be very individualized. Of course, the main food allergies are fish, chicken, beef, etc. but every cat is different. We also went the route of eliminating all scents/air fresheners/etc. and while I did think it helped at first, I've since found out it didn't make a difference.

Sorry if that's not much help. It's so difficult because your cat could be allergic to literally anything and I know how stressful that is as a cat-parent. It took us 2-3 years to finally stop the vomiting, so I know your struggle. I can't tell you if it's food related or not, but I think it may be wise to pick a specific novel protein (a protein your cat has never had) and stick with only that for 3 months. If you can't make your own food I know many people here would recommend Rawz as starting point.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve tried so many foods (rx, limited diet, novel protein).
Have you tried an elimination diet? My cat is intolerant to several different grains. Unfortunately most prescription food for sensitive digestion also has grains so they don't work for us. My brother's cat has been on Hills z/d for many years now, over allergies. It wouldn't work for my cat, it works for his.

I’ve keep her indoors for weeks with no change, and it started in January so I’m not sure it’s pollen related. I’ve switched food dishes, litter types, laundry detergents, no down comforter, no rugs, tore the carpet out of the house (seriously), no chemicals, no candles or anything like that, no body lotion for me.
I'm an allergic person myself and the most challenging allergy and the one most difficult to control is dust mite. Look upto that in case it might be that.

Peachiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems like you have tried just about everything! I'm so sorry you two are going through this. Out of curiosity, each time you made the diet change, how long did you test it for? I only ask because you mentioned that this has been going on since January and you've tried at least three different diets. When it comes to dietary allergies, it can take upwards to three months before the allergic reaction stops. I learned this the hard way with my cat Morty. I have recently come to the conclusion that he (as an extremely special/rare case) was reacting to fish oil amongst other things.

Since you asked what worked for us: it took me years to figure out the small amount of information I know now. After years of weekly+ vomiting I know Morty at the minimum has a strong fish allergy, but likely some other allergies as well. Since Morty really likes pork (most cats do not--I would suggest rabbit for the majority of cats) we did a limited ingredient diet of cooked pork with Alnutrin. I omitted the fish oil as well and it was/is the only thing that has ever stopped his vomiting and itching. However, this won't apply to every cat because allergies can be very individualized. Of course, the main food allergies are fish, chicken, beef, etc. but every cat is different. We also went the route of eliminating all scents/air fresheners/etc. and while I did think it helped at first, I've since found out it didn't make a difference.

Sorry if that's not much help. It's so difficult because your cat could be allergic to literally anything and I know how stressful that is as a cat-parent. It took us 2-3 years to finally stop the vomiting, so I know your struggle. I can't tell you if it's food related or not, but I think it may be wise to pick a specific novel protein (a protein your cat has never had) and stick with only that for 3 months. If you can't make your own food I know many people here would recommend Rawz as starting point.
Miss Clouseau,

thank you for giving me hope! I do think that any small bit of information might help. You are right about the length of different diets. I’ve been following vet recommended diet changes, and she seems to think that if Peachy is getting worse, switch to a new food. I did think I some improvement on the royal canin rx venison, but then her itchies came back with a vengeance. That was an almost 2 month trial. We briefly tried the royal canin ultalmino, but it was junk food and only comes in dry. My girl has always been a bit sickly, and had a UTI as a kitten so I worry about her not staying hydrated. She hated that food anyways.

In addition to her allergies, she got an infected abscess (not related to allergies!) a month ago and because she was so sick I let her eat the food she wanted most to put weight back on her.

I have been thinking about trying rabbit next. Maybe something other than royal canin since it hasn’t seemed to help.

Peachiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried an elimination diet? My cat is intolerant to several different grains. Unfortunately most prescription food for sensitive digestion also has grains so they don't work for us. My brother's cat has been on Hills z/d for many years now, over allergies. It wouldn't work for my cat, it works for his.

I'm an allergic person myself and the most challenging allergy and the one most difficult to control is dust mite. Look upto that in case it might be that.
I have looked into this and my house has never been so clean! Unfortunately if it is a dust allergy I don’t know that I can do any more about it. Sweeping and mopping everyday hasn’t made a difference. I washed everything so many times.
She is on a grain free LID wet food, but the dry may have grains. I will check. I don’t think we’ve tried to eliminate all grains! Thank you!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have looked into this and my house has never been so clean! Unfortunately if it is a dust allergy I don’t know that I can do any more about it. Sweeping and mopping everyday hasn’t made a difference. I washed everything so many times.
She is on a grain free LID wet food, but the dry may have grains. I will check. I don’t think we’ve tried to eliminate all grains! Thank you!
Ironically sweeping every day can make dust mite allergy symptoms worse. Usually my symptoms are the worst on cleaning days with more dust being in the air from vacuuming but I have to deep clean at least once a week to breathe the other days! Dust mites mostly live on and in fabric. You can use a waterproof bed cover on beds. If your furniture are fabric, putting something on between that and your kitty might help too. If it is dust mite allergy that is. (But really even if it isn’t these are good for the air quality for everyone in the house so at least the effort won’t go to waste :-) )

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Miss Clouseau,

thank you for giving me hope! I do think that any small bit of information might help. You are right about the length of different diets. I’ve been following vet recommended diet changes, and she seems to think that if Peachy is getting worse, switch to a new food. I did think I some improvement on the royal canin rx venison, but then her itchies came back with a vengeance. That was an almost 2 month trial. We briefly tried the royal canin ultalmino, but it was junk food and only comes in dry. My girl has always been a bit sickly, and had a UTI as a kitten so I worry about her not staying hydrated. She hated that food anyways.

In addition to her allergies, she got an infected abscess (not related to allergies!) a month ago and because she was so sick I let her eat the food she wanted most to put weight back on her.

I have been thinking about trying rabbit next. Maybe something other than royal canin since it hasn’t seemed to help.
Yeah, I would definitely avoid the dry food especially if she's had a UTI. I think it's a good idea to try rabbit (as a single protein) next! Just make sure you give it a fair amount of time. I didn't do this for so many food trials and that's why it took me such a long time to figure out the problem. Also, it didn't help that it was something so unlikely. :)

I know both Instinct and Rawz have rabbit flavors, although I have no idea if they're in stock again after all of these shortages. Koha is another brand that has limited ingredients but none of my cats liked it much. Merrick does as well but they still add legumes to the cans which I find troublesome.

Edit: After reading below I also wanted to add that cats will usually not have the reactions your describing with grains. Of course everything can vary from cat to cat so it's entirely possible, but usually grain sensitivities manifest more in the vomit/stool and less in symptoms like itching. Either way, it's always best to avoid additives like grains whenever feasibly possible.

Peachiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I would definitely avoid the dry food especially if she's had a UTI. I think it's a good idea to try rabbit (as a single protein) next! Just make sure you give it a fair amount of time. I didn't do this for so many food trials and that's why it took me such a long time to figure out the problem. Also, it didn't help that it was something so unlikely. :)

I know both Instinct and Rawz have rabbit flavors, although I have no idea if they're in stock again after all of these shortages. Koha is another brand that has limited ingredients but none of my cats liked it much. Merrick does as well but they still add legumes to the cans which I find troublesome.

Edit: After reading below I also wanted to add that cats will usually not have the reactions your describing with grains. Of course everything can vary from cat to cat so it's entirely possible, but usually grain sensitivities manifest more in the vomit/stool and less in symptoms like itching. Either way, it's always best to avoid additives like grains whenever feasibly possible.
All good information! Now that I looked I realize she has been on grain free since she recovered from the infection. She does not eat much dry food, but I do leave it out for her. She eats wet food twice a day. I have an appointment with a holistic vet next week, and another regular vet that I used in the past for the following week. The holistic vet advised to not offer dry until the appointment if possible.