Allergies or vet time? How do you tell the difference?

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
So for the past for days, Mia has been sneezing. Milo's been 'coughing' (just a bit) and all of them have been tearing from the eyes.
Outside of that, Milo and Jasper have had some runny poo. Not a lot, but some.

Normally I would take them to the vet right away except... my allergies are insane, ragweed pollen is high and it's been ungodly hot here in Louisiana.

How do I tell when I should take them to the vet?

Both Milo and Jasper were at the vet recently (Jasper for his UTI and Milo for just a standard check up) and outside of the UTI, both were given a clean bill of health.

Everyone is eating, drinking and playing just fine - should I assume allergies since I'm suffering too or take to the vet?

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why don’t you phone your vet and ask them if it’s normal or if you should take them to the vet?
Most of the time there is a phone number so that you can contact them in case an emergency happens :)

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would take them to the vet, just to be safe. Its definitely possible it could be just allergies, but there is every chance it could an upper respiratory infection that has spread from one cat to another. Or worse, an FIV flare up. Are they allowed outdoors?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Why don’t you phone your vet and ask them if it’s normal or if you should take them to the vet?
Most of the time there is a phone number so that you can contact them in case an emergency happens :)
My vet is great, but with covid - the vet rarely will get on the phone. You can talk to the sec, but other than that it's hard to actually talk to him himself.

I would take them to the vet, just to be safe. Its definitely possible it could be just allergies, but there is every chance it could an upper respiratory infection that has spread from one cat to another. Or worse, an FIV flare up. Are they allowed outdoors?
Absolutely NEVER allowed outside. They are strictly indoor cats.

The youngest is barely a year old (if he even is, we think maybe9 months) and the other two are both a year and a half. Two of them were also at the vet for check ups (and for for his uti) and they came back with a clean bill of health.

I noticed Milo hasn't coughed much tonight, though Mia is still sneezing a bit.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, it could be allergies, but you (any of us) can't tell that for sure. I would go to the vet.