Allergic To One Cat Only?

IvoryRavyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a new kitty(3 days ago) and I seem to be have a reaction to him if he nuzzles my face (which he seems to love to do even if I try to move him away). The weird thing is I'm not allergic to cats. I've had cats all my life and have another resident cat. Is it possible to be allergic to only one cat or maybe some types... I have breed specific dog allergies.... Maybe he has a lot more of the allergy protein? I'm not super concerned for myseld, as its only a skin reaction only on my face, but my boyfriend has cat allergies and is ok but not great around my older cat. I'm worried if I'm having reactions at all his might be really bad. Any ideas?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You wont know until your bf is around the new cat. People are allergic to certain proteins in the cat's saliva and cats have different ones. There are more commons ones and other ones are less common.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
It's the fel d1 that causes the allergic reactions and different cats have different levels. Levels can vary by breed, color, sex as well. You do get used to your own cat after a while. I'm very allergic to cats but I am bothered more by cats other than my own.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Everything already said plus it is possible to develop allergies at any time in your life. All it takes is your body saying enough to something and you can find yourself with a brand new allergy.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While I have a minor allergy to cats in general it isn't enough to make me suffer at all. However, years ago, one of my sisters had a cat that set off such a terrible asthma attack that I had to leave her house. Stayed one night and that was that. Never had that happen since and that was already decades ago and I've been around probably hundreds of cats since!

So as others also confirmed, yes, one cat can have a different allergen profile than others. Very possible.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when you got the cat 3 days ago, you not only got him, but you got dust from where he'd been living. Perhaps it's something in the dust or the material of the bedding he had, or one of his caretaker's perfumes, or the soap they used on him, or the flea medicine they put on him. Lots of possibilities.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, you might be allergic to something he has on him, not him specifically. If possible, give him a bath. If that's not possible, wipe him down with a damp rag every day for 4 or 5 days, see if that helps.

I'm somewhat allergic to cats but not my own. If I have to stay overnight with someone else's cat, I'll have a reaction. And I have reactions to new cats until my body gets used to them.

But it is also possible for one cat to produce a different amount of allergens. Darker cats are usually more allergenic, scientists say.