Allergic Reaction Or Hyperesthesia?

teaotspp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I wanted to ask you all about the strange behaviour my 5 month kitten has been showing lately. His name is Chobi and he's a very active Neva Masquerade.
We brought him into the family around 3 months ago. We have another older cat, Freckols (2 years old, British long hair).
Chobi and Freckols get along pretty well. They're not sleeping together or cleaning each other, but they tolerate each other, they don't fight and sometimes they play together.
Around 2-3 weeks ago Chobi, the 5 months old one, started to have behaviour changes. He peed in several places, outside the litterbox and once he pooped in the laundry basket. We did tons of research and tried cat attract on the box, but he will still pee in other places. (everytime different place)
One evening we came back and the whole wardrobe was sprayed with urine. We concluded that he is marking his territory and going in heats so we took him to the vet for sterilization/ castration. At the same time, we noticed that his right eye is tearing up and he has rheum around his right eye (the build up around the eye).
So the doctor performed this past Wednesday (28 of August) the castration and gave him tolfenamic acid, amoxicilin, atropine, vetaketam (ketamine) and xylapan.
After he recovered from the anesthesia he started to act a bit weird. A lot of miawing and running around. He was eating and being in the mood to play but at the same time, he acted like he is in pain and was much louder than usual. We thought it must be some pain from the surgery.
The second day, on Thursday (29 of august), we took him for an antibiotic shot. He got tolfenamic acid and amoxicilin and also we started giving him some eye drops for the rheum. The drops are amikacin. In very short time he started to act very weirdly. He couldn't walk straight, his pupils were dilated, he was shivering very strongly, almost like a seizure and miawing very loudly.
We took him to the emergency vet and they said he probably got an allergic reaction either to the antibiotic or to the drops. His temperature was 41 degrees Celsius and he was put on an iv. They did blood tests but couldn't find anything. The next day they took off the iv and we took him home for observation.
He seems almost back to normal, he is eating and being playful but he is more miawing than usual. Sometimes he suddenly starts running around, getting scared of something that is not there and suddenly stops to aggressively scratch and lick himself. I checked for flees or any skin leisures but I couldn't find anything.
I found out about this hyperthesia in cats which will fit the symptoms but he just had the allergic reaction so we don't know now if he still has an allergy to something, or why is he displaying this erratic behaviour.
Does any one has any idea what could be going on with him? Is this still related to the allergy or is this a new thing? We want to go by the end of the week again with him if he keeps displaying weird behaviour but I wanted to check with you guys as well.
Thanks a lot!

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Teaotspp, sorry to hear Chobi isn't feeling well. Hyperthesia is a very rare condition. That doesn't mean Chobi doesn't have it. However, given that Chobi has just been through surgery and had a few other medical problems, and has no prior history of strange behavior, my personal opinion is that it seems more likely that his current symptoms are caused by his reaction to the drug cocktail he was given and surgery.

I would give him a bit of time to recover and return to the vet for a reevaluation if he gets worse or if the symptoms persist for some time.

Good luck! I hope Chobi feels better soon.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I tend to agree with Wile Wile . Plus I think Chobi is a little young yet for Feline Hyperthesia to present itself. It's always possible, but doubtful.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teaotspp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Teaotspp, sorry to hear Chobi isn't feeling well. Hyperthesia is a very rare condition. That doesn't mean Chobi doesn't have it. However, given that Chobi has just been through surgery and had a few other medical problems, and has no prior history of strange behavior, my personal opinion is that it seems more likely that his current symptoms are caused by his reaction to the drug cocktail he was given and surgery.

I would give him a bit of time to recover and return to the vet for a reevaluation if he gets worse or if the symptoms persist for some time.

Good luck! I hope Chobi feels better soon.
Hi!
Thank you so much for replying! How much time do you think we should give him before we take him again to the vet? He is eating, drinking, using the litterbox and is playful but every other minute he stops for pretty intensive licking and, I don't know how it's called when they bite the fur during grooming. I checked his skin for any parasites or rashes but I couldn't find anything. Yet he keeps scratching and washing different parts of the body constantly.
Today it's one week since the surgery and I don't know if we should take him tomorrow to the vet or wait over the weekend and see how it progresses...

Thanks a lot!

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like Chobi's really itchy! Assuming that he's not hurting himself and doesn't seem distressed by the itchiness it is probably ok to wait over the weekend and see if the problem resolves itself. Do you have a post-surgery follow-up appointment scheduled with your vet yet? Often these appointments are included in the cost of the neuter surgery. If you don't have one scheduled I would give your vet a call to schedule the appointment and you can address the itchiness and reaction to the drug at the same time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teaotspp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like Chobi's really itchy! Assuming that he's not hurting himself and doesn't seem distressed by the itchiness it is probably ok to wait over the weekend and see if the problem resolves itself. Do you have a post-surgery follow-up appointment scheduled with your vet yet? Often these appointments are included in the cost of the neuter surgery. If you don't have one scheduled I would give your vet a call to schedule the appointment and you can address the itchiness and reaction to the drug at the same time.
Thank you for the reply. We went today with him. And the vet thinks it might be 3 things. Either he got a flea bite and he became allergic to that. so we put him the drop. Second is that he might still have residue allergy from one of the medicine and third that it might be stress related. We got married this weekend so there was a bit of going in and out of the house and a few guests. Maybe this stressed him and now he is reacting to that. We also got some calming plant tablet that we should administer at the beginning of the next week if the symptoms persist...