All Over Loose Skin - Normal or Should I take him to the vet.

RavenG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten about 2 months or so old, Sardonyx. He goes in for his first shots at the end of August. But I am worried I should take him in sooner.

He was a stray that I rescued from an old friend's yard, where he showed up suddenly with no other kittens or mom around. He had coccidia and fleas which are both now all sorted. He did catch the 'cat cold' but is now all better aside from a few sneezes taking their time to leave.

Over the last two weeks I have noticed that even with growth spirts his skin all over feels loose. I have had a lot of cats, and never had any of them go through a stage like this. I am concerned it could be EDS which does show up in cats sometimes. When I say loose, I mean when I pick him up it feels like he is wearing a loose skin suit. Like if he was a hairless cat in a sweater or something. He also has these little eye bags like he is always tired looking. I don't pick him up by his scruff anymore just in case, its like a whole 2 inch of skin if I pull there or on his back.

I don't want to panic, but I can't find ANYTHING online that isn't about obesity or primordial pouches, or EDS. He is a very playful cat, but he seems to get tired quickly. Being that he will just stop playing mid play session with my friends kitten that is only a tad older (and does NOT have loose skin). He screams a lot during play, and I always make sure that he is not injured at all afterward just in case.

He is a little snuggle bug when he wants to be, and I love him so much.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello - if your vet can get you in sooner, I think I'd take him. As you described, it isn't just the loose skin although that's plenty in itself, but it's that he gets tired quickly as well and he might be sore/ouchy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Stretchy, Saggy, Painful Skin in Cats | PetMD
Thanks to babyproofing, this fragile cat doesn’t have to live in a bubble

eds syndrome cats - Google Search

It seems that searches which bring this up refer to it as Feline Cutaneous Asthenia, then state that it is also called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. The first two links are specific article and the last is general search. There are stories about cats who go on to live with this condition.

There are pics as well, so you can compare. This does not sound like primordial pouch or obesity to me.

I am glad that you have a vet appointment; they can be hard to get now, but if you can bump it up it might be a good idea. In the meantime, one article cautions about skin tears and fragility, so watch what he is doing, especially if he is a playful little guy.

Having said this, we are not vets, and I can't say that your baby has this. Please let us know what you find out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RavenG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - if your vet can get you in sooner, I think I'd take him. As you described, it isn't just the loose skin although that's plenty in itself, but it's that he gets tired quickly as well and he might be sore/ouchy.
I am going to try to get him in next week, My vet takes walk ins so if I get up early it shouldn't be a problem

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RavenG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Stretchy, Saggy, Painful Skin in Cats | PetMD
Thanks to babyproofing, this fragile cat doesn’t have to live in a bubble

eds syndrome cats - Google Search

It seems that searches which bring this up refer to it as Feline Cutaneous Asthenia, then state that it is also called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. The first two links are specific article and the last is general search. There are stories about cats who go on to live with this condition.

There are pics as well, so you can compare. This does not sound like primordial pouch or obesity to me.

I am glad that you have a vet appointment; they can be hard to get now, but if you can bump it up it might be a good idea. In the meantime, one article cautions about skin tears and fragility, so watch what he is doing, especially if he is a playful little guy.

Having said this, we are not vets, and I can't say that your baby has this. Please let us know what you find out.

Hey there thank you!

Those searches are what had me questioning it. I keep an eye on him, and am prepared to 'baby proof' the house and other cats if needed. I just know that what can be done depends greatly on severity. He is not like the majority of the cats that show up in the photos, but they also don't have hardly any kittens as examples. At first glance you wouldn't see anything, at best people have noticed his lil tired looking eyes. I kinda think he eyes more like Rami Malek. It isn't unless you pick him up that you can tell.

I am hoping to get him in next week just to be safe. I am just so worried for him.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing the right thing. If it were to be this, then the sooner the better. But hoping it isn’t. Rami Malik part is cute.

kobusls

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Your kitten sounds a lot like my Norm. We picked him up from a local farm back in July. They thought he was about 6 months old at the time and had been living outside with their other barn cats. The woman we got him from had been treating him for various cuts around his ears that she assumed he received from scratching his ears due to ear mites. We brought him home and checked the wound by his right ear and noticed it had become infected. While at the vet, it was noted that his skin was very stretchy and loose, more so than a normal kitten. She suspected Ehlers Danlos but had never had a patient with this before so she was going to do some research and get back to us. She felt the loose skin was getting caught in his claws when he scratched his ears and was why he was cutting himself. That visit he received ear mite treatment, dewormer, vaccinations and a shot of antibiotic for the infected cut. She also determined that he was probably closer to 4-5 months old as he still had his kitten teeth.
Other than that, he seems normal on the surface. He does seem to be a bit more "liquid", possible hyperextension of his joints if you will, and he definitely tires easier. He will play hard for a little while then needs to lie down but he's a total love bug. When we took him back to the vet for his booster shot his vet did a skin extensibility check. Anything over 19% is an indicator for EDS in cats. He was 36%. While that's still not a definitive diagnosis, it's a pretty good indicator that he has it. It's frustrating because I can't really find a whole lot of info about this that doesn't make it sound catastrophic talking about how people euthanize their cats that have this issue because of poor quality of life. He seems like a perfectly happy and normal (albeit maybe a little lazier than normal if that's possible for a cat). Websites describe skin tearing just from normal handling and grooming.
So far what has been working for us has been using Soft Paws claw covers on his back claws. He tolerates us putting them, they keep him from scratching his ears open, and I think are more comfortable than the cone we had been using for him as he can still groom himself. I wish I had more to offer as advice. I honestly suspect that more cats have this than are diagnosed. When talking to a coworker about it she mentioned that her cat also had unusually stretchy skin. He about 5 years old and no other issues. No one has ever discussed him possibly having EDS. That makes me a little hopeful that maybe our little Norm can live a mostly "Norm"al life. We're just playing it by ear. Good luck!

Vitomysweeto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten about 2 months or so old, Sardonyx. He goes in for his first shots at the end of August. But I am worried I should take him in sooner.

He was a stray that I rescued from an old friend's yard, where he showed up suddenly with no other kittens or mom around. He had coccidia and fleas which are both now all sorted. He did catch the 'cat cold' but is now all better aside from a few sneezes taking their time to leave.

Over the last two weeks I have noticed that even with growth spirts his skin all over feels loose. I have had a lot of cats, and never had any of them go through a stage like this. I am concerned it could be EDS which does show up in cats sometimes. When I say loose, I mean when I pick him up it feels like he is wearing a loose skin suit. Like if he was a hairless cat in a sweater or something. He also has these little eye bags like he is always tired looking. I don't pick him up by his scruff anymore just in case, its like a whole 2 inch of skin if I pull there or on his back.

I don't want to panic, but I can't find ANYTHING online that isn't about obesity or primordial pouches, or EDS. He is a very playful cat, but he seems to get tired quickly. Being that he will just stop playing mid play session with my friends kitten that is only a tad older (and does NOT have loose skin). He screams a lot during play, and I always make sure that he is not injured at all afterward just in case.

He is a little snuggle bug when he wants to be, and I love him so much.

Vitomysweeto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like my Don Vito. He had EDS and lived to be 19 with careful care. Watch out for vomiting and constipation, and gurgling sounds when he breathes. Severe constipation and vomiting can cause hiatal hernias, invaginated esophagus, mega esophagus, and chronic constipation can cause megacolon. I do know some of them are born with hiatal hernias as well which can be managed. If you have to give him a pill make sure that there are no sharp edges. Wet food only and soft treats might be the best option. But consult your vet. When suturing use dissolvable stitches. That way they eventually fall off and you don’t have to worry about extra holes. They will act like cats and play rough. If he is screaming it may be best to intervene in the play. Their insides can be affected by EDS as well. Research the different types of EDS and read about EDS symptoms in people as well since there is more info on humans. Good luck