Alice - need help w/ symptoms

Tdsmithny1245

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alice is a very sweet 16 year old tabby cat, who is normally very vocal and responsive. After several vet visits which concluded in her being diagnosed with diabetes, she snuck out of the house while someone was entering (she’s allowed outside but not at night) and disappeared. We searched tirelessly for two weeks, and since we are surrounded by woods, we assumed that she was upset by the vet visits and perhaps more sick than she seemed, and had chosen to go outside to pass away on her own terms. After being searching for two weeks, our neighbor called my mother at work to tell her that she had found Alice on a low shelf in a garage. We don’t think she had been there the whole time since our neighbors had all been searching for her too, but we were so happy to have her found. Unfortunately, after two weeks of being outside, she was not well. She had an infected eye, her temperature was a mere 92 degrees, and she wasn’t moving more than wrapping her paws around our fingers when talking to her. The vets asked us to hold out hope since they believed perhaps she was just severely dehydrated, but her condition hasn’t improved significantly. She still doesn’t move more than flexing her paws, and the vet thinks she may have had a stroke but is unsure. Alice has lived a wonderful live, and we are willing to do whatever is best for her. We just want to know if anyone has any recommendations about her condition, symptoms, or possible treatments, if only temporary. Thank you.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tdsmithny1245

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mother picked her up from the vet only a few hours ago, and they were apparently feeding her with whatever wet food brand they use. She wouldn’t eat on her own sadly. My mom has fancy feast and Sheba, and if we can’t get her to eat either tonight (I work until 10 pm) then we will bring her back to the vet tomorrow I suppose. As far as the the pee/poop my mom is staying in the same room as her and constantly checking her pillow and any towels/blankets she may be laying on. She has eaten and drank so little that at this point she’s not having many vowel movements.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goodness.

I don't have any suggestions, other than pee pads which might make things a little easier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tdsmithny1245

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No luck with food, her motor function is entirely limited and she only lifts her head rarely when she recognizes someone’s voice.

She was on plenty of IV fluids for days, which our vet was hoping would be enough to revitalize her.