Agressive Kitten & Elder Cat

Bocarney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
We found a feral 4 week old female feral kitten whose mother and siblings were killed by dogs. We brought her in the house with our male elder cat who is 15 yrs old. We named her Gypsy Rose and she is now about 4 months old.
The issue is she seems to be more and more agressive, to the point that we are beginning to wonder if we can keep her. She is very smart, healthy, is liter trained, eats food and sleeps through the night in her kitten tent with no issues. The problem is that she bites and claws at us anytime we try to touch her. And she is continually chasing and being agressive towards Rocco our elder male - who would rather not have anything to do with her at all. She will, when she wants to and on very rare occasions allow us to pet her, but is short lived and ends with her biting. Many times she will just run up and bite me out of the blue and run away. We don't want to, and would have no idea what to do with her, get rid if her. But at the same time I can't have Rocco stressed out all day everyday either and her bites and claws are becoming more and more painful. I tried the towel method a few weeks ago, but she went berserk clawing, meowing loudly, growling and biting that I gave up. I am looking for some help. What can I do to tame her?

jpatootie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
We found a feral 4 week old female feral kitten whose mother and siblings were killed by dogs. We brought her in the house with our male elder cat who is 15 yrs old. We named her Gypsy Rose and she is now about 4 months old.
The issue is she seems to be more and more agressive, to the point that we are beginning to wonder if we can keep her. She is very smart, healthy, is liter trained, eats food and sleeps through the night in her kitten tent with no issues. The problem is that she bites and claws at us anytime we try to touch her. And she is continually chasing and being agressive towards Rocco our elder male - who would rather not have anything to do with her at all. She will, when she wants to and on very rare occasions allow us to pet her, but is short lived and ends with her biting. Many times she will just run up and bite me out of the blue and run away. We don't want to, and would have no idea what to do with her, get rid if her. But at the same time I can't have Rocco stressed out all day everyday either and her bites and claws are becoming more and more painful. I tried the towel method a few weeks ago, but she went berserk clawing, meowing loudly, growling and biting that I gave up. I am looking for some help. What can I do to tame her?
You didn't mention whether you've had her spayed or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bocarney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, she has not been spayed yet.

jpatootie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, she has not been spayed yet.
You may find that having her spayed will change the game entirely and calm her. Please do so ASAP. Is she an indoor/outdoor cat? If indoor, does she WANT to go out, esp when she's in an agressive mood?

Bocarney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wasnt sure she was old enough. I will call the vet this week. She is an indoor cat. I don't think she even knows what outside is, she was so young when I found her and was only in a barn.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have the vet trim her claws.

Since she was only 4 weeks old when you found her, was she calm and loving before? At 4 weeks, most feral kittens can be socialized fairly easily.

I would definitely keep her away from your older cat.

Bocarney

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Since she was only 4 weeks old when you found her, was she calm and loving before? At 4 weeks, most feral kittens can be socialized fairly easily.

Yes, she was. It seems the older she gets the more aggressive she gets. My older cat basically ignores her, she mainly annoys him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she needs a playmate her own age. In lieu of that, however, you probably need to spend a good 30 minutes twice a day wearing her out by having her chase a toy on a string attached to a stick.

Try it! It should help.

jpatootie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, one-on-one play, preferably on her level, to gain her trust is really important.
Spaying guidelines have changed much over the years, and some vets will even spay at ten weeks.
The vet visit is a great time for trimming claws, and hopefully, you can gain her trust and DIY in the future.
As young as she is, attacking and wrestling is a big part of her growing up. This toy has gone through two toddler/adolescent kitties at our house that have been able to take out their agressions on IT, instead of us and the older cats. It's about the size of a sewing 'ham' if you're familar with those--weighted to give enough resistance to really grab and then get those thumpers going. It will hang from a chair as a scratcher, but it's best attacked on the floor. I'm glad they are still making them.

Please respond to this thread to keep us updated on her progress. Best of luck.